Hixton Quartz Dove from WI.

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
3bc207c5094115d1531900d16600fde5.jpg3774e8f9d316fc50410d55bec247bb5c.jpghas Bennett paper. Sale pending coa verification. I am unfamiliar with this material and would welcome any opinions. I can't seem to find any examples of dovetails being made from this quartz. Its 4" and comes from Dawes County WI.

Upvote 0
What a nice piece. Hixton is a form of quartzite and such a variety is often referred to as "sugar quartz" because of the attractive sugar-like texture. It isn't the only form of "sugar quartz" quartzite, but probably the best known.

Outlaw, I lived in WI my whole life and I have never heard of Dawes County. Are you thinking of an IL county?

You are very right no Dawes. the seller is providing me with a better pic of the coa it was small and when I blew it up to view I may have read it wrong nun the less am checking it out for sure. His description does say Dawes I went back and checked.

And as far as the Hixton Quartz goes- if that's part of the question- you can search 'Hixton Quartz' and I think there was a discussion and pics of examples. Maybe that wasn't what you were really 'after'- as an answer? Nice piece tho. Yak

Here's a pretty good one :laughing7: Also from Jackson County near the town of Melrose and named the Black River Falls dovetail. Probably the best dovetail known to have been found in Wisconsin.

Hippy

Attachments

• black river falls transluscent.jpg
    black river falls transluscent.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 258
WOW and double WOW...that is absolutely beautiful. What's its length?? That one makes me sweat!!! LOL!!! THNX for the view is it yours??
Here's a pretty good one :laughing7: Also from Jackson County near the town of Melrose and named the Black River Falls dovetail. Probably the best dovetail known to have been found in Wisconsin.

Hippy

Hixton isn't real common here in Central Illinois, but what we do find seems to be mostly Archaic. I have two hixton personal found Dovetails.

WOW and double WOW...that is absolutely beautiful. What's its length?? That one makes me sweat!!! LOL!!! THNX for the view is it yours??

It measures a little over 6" long. Yep, it's mine now. It's a pretty well known piece that actually walked into the Baraboo, WI show around 1995. It was found prior to 1930 though. It just so happens that my top collecting interest is also Dovetail points so I've been rounding them up for a few years.

We find Hixton in NW Illinois in, generally speaking, two time periods. Either it will be early archaic mostly doves or Hardins, or late woodland in the form of triangles. There have been a few Hixton clovis points found around here too.

Hippy

...well...you've made me a fan of those Dovetails! Keep sharing them outlaw:icon_thumleft:...beautiful!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back