Hit the local schoolyard again after work

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, with daylight savings up and running, I took advantage of the extra hour and hit the local elementarty school again after work, with my 9 year old daughter and 5 year old son. Not much to show, .95 cents in clad, and a childs ID dog tag. I'm gonna mail the tag back to the owner, as it's not far from the school and my house. I have finished hunting the playground area and have started hunting the ballfield and the edge of the schoolyard near the woods. All the coins are still clad, but it's older clad. The school dates back to the early 50s, so I'm hoping theres a little silver left in there. The thing that suprised me is there seem to be as many coins out in the middle of the ballfield, as well as the edge of the woods, as there were in the playground area. I guess anyone else who has been hitting this school over the years stuck to the playground. but I'm not complaining! I'll pull some silver out of there yet!! Also, we hauled a shopping bag full of trah out - LOTS of broken glass in the schoolyard, it's a wonder kids don't get themselves all ripped up playing out there at recess! Pics of my clad and the dog tag with name and address blurred out are below! HH everyone!

Attachments

• Post Pic 1.JPG
    Post Pic 1.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 359
Upvote 0
Nice finds, hope you find a lot more there. Also nice touchremembering the blurred address. Glad you had fun w/the little ones and also thinking of the other kids. WTG. HH

Stoney, have to agree with you on location of coins. Scattered all over with no general pattern some in the grass, baseball area, near the bike rake area. Have you tried the front of the school where the kids get off and on the bus?

49er is right on that suggestion of checking the front of the school.

I have raked it in at the front area of the local schools. In my area they cover the sidewalk with an aluminum type roof. Keeps the kids dry on rainy days. Anyway, the middle school in my area has this same covered walkway and the kids just congrigate under it so some of them have to use the grass areas along side it. They drop everything you could imagine in this area! I swear I'd find a head or two if they were'nt attached better :D

You'll find rings, chains, clad like crazy!, pendants, keys, and even pull tabs! :D

Good luck!

Rod

I haven't gotten around to the front of the school were all the kids enter yet, still plenty of ground to cover in the back. The back has a playground with the standard gym equipment and wood chips, and a rasther good sized baseball/soccer field, as well as a surrounding woods on both sides of the school, with paths entering the schoolyard on both sides. But since the school is literally a stone throw from my house, it's my old standby hunting grounds. I head over there whenever I've only got an hour or two, so I'll eventually cover the entire grounds. And while I'm hunting the ballfield, paths, and the front areas, I'll let the kids reload the playground, lol! HH!

Sounds like a good plan to me ;D

What kind of School is it? Elementary? Middle? or High?

Rod

Got out md for first time in 2 weeks , went to favorite school...and darned if playground was`nt full of kids ! O well it needed restocking with lunch money . This was school that i found 9 quarters in same hole...and some kind of chinese coin ! ;D ;D ;D :o

I wish my penny/NDQ ratio was that good. Example
$2.45
45 P
1 N
7 D
5 Q
This is mostly from elementry schools and a 25 year old abandond house on my grandmothers property.

I was hunting at a school this past weekend that was built in the 50's and know it has been hunted several times, we hunted the play ground and around the baseball diamonds found a lot of clad, working our way back to the truck I got the idea to hunt the fence row by the play ground, other side of the fence is farm land and the school side is grown up with weeds.... pulled out 2 clad quarters 3 dimes and a 1950 quarter!
I figure as grown up as it was probably hadnt been hunted before... look for those places others missed :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back