Historical change in Magnetic Declination over time.

Should be in best of TN.

Well after I remove this question.

Being the one willing to look stupid here: Oh wait, I think I just answered myself. A shift in magnetic pull would move veins of metals around, no? And displace other minerals and metals? Over time, a long time. Is this pole shift a back forth thing or just heading that-a-way thing? But the alternate answer would be that nothing moves physically, depending on pull except for the reads on measuring devices. So it is I that is shifting back and forth now.

Now a really cheap question, which if answered will satisfy my desire to learn even if I am boring the heck out of you. Wouldn't certain metals gravitate toward the vicinities of the poles more than others?

I think I'll stop there. Thank you for having me. ;-)

Those who treasure hunt should be using maps to plot out the items they find. It is because of this, I am posting the following link. This link will help you find the historical magnetic declination for your area. Simply input your zip code on the left to convert it to geo coords, then specify the date range on the right. I easily found the adjustments for magnetic north, by decade, from 1800 until 2010 for my area. I hope it helps.

Clay

NOAA Status Alert

this is really a good thing! I can't wait until the government get's off of their @sses so I can try and use it!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting it, L.C. Baker:occasion14:

still dign WOW NICE TO SEE YOU BACK~!
THERE ARE THOSE OF US WHO HAVE MISSED YOUR INTELLIGENT POSTS ON THIS SITE- WELCOME BACK ME AMIGO
and my take on the declination had to do with the spiderrock maps...declination was side stepped by the rocks buried in the ground they pointed the way and I followed them for 500 miles to the exact distination.,with a few meters...
And again in my pursuit of signs and monuments...offset surveying was the norm for the Jessies..and since the distances in a set of alpha, omega, and the dig spot are tiny.,.declanition is not an issue...once lI came upon a nice owl sign..I took the bearing of his gaze..the later it was clear on an online topo map the owl wanted me to go to a distant mountain, perhaps a few kilometers away..there..I found the omega monuments and some half buried rock, one an image of a turtle as though he was climbing out of the ground and a half buried rock that had the image of Christ face~! No worries about declination it changes with the magnetic shift of the poles, but rocks buried in the ground do not change the direction they were meant to point..dont sweat the dec.
oro bro
rangler

Stilldign is Back. I also have been away too long. Blessings to " ALL ". Welcome back Stilldign !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back