Highbanker build/ riffle revamp. Riffle styles??? what do you think??

joebwhit

May 7, 2014
Moscow ID
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi,

I'm new as member. I couldn't sit on the sidelines anymore. I have been doing a lot or reading and have decided to go rebuild my riffles. I have a 10"x48" sluice that I converted into a highbanker. I used a Cal sluice hopper that I made my own spray bar on and cut the opening bigger in the bottom to allow more water. I am running it with a 2" pump. I built a fine gold recovery area under the hopper using lath expanded metal on miners moss on black matting and 1/16" heavy gauge weaved wire classifier. I also have 4' of 14" abs truck bed liner drop riffle at the end.

The existing riffles consist of 3 flat bar riffle followed by 3 hungarian riffles. With the water flow I want to run the amount of material I want, there is too much turbulence off each riffle and the down stream side of the riffles are packing instead of a active exchanged created by a strong vortex. I think I have decided to weld up new riffles based on the clarkston report, http://www.arcticminers.org/Clarkso...rication.com/files/sluice-build-partIII-2.pdf. I know the easy answer is less water lower pitch but that wouldn't be any fun at all.

I know I am going to get some flack for this but I think hungarians and flat bar riffle are a major design flaw in sluices unless you are running fairly low velocities. I know they have their place but they are all to often used in high velocity high volume highbankers and dredges that require something far more aggressive. read the research and let me know what you think.

I also have 20' of 8" channel with 6" sides I was thinking of making a 10' 8" highbanker out of using 1" clarkston riffles. there are several studies that show to increase capture area you should long not wide. so I was thinking long narrow with tall aggressive riffles, high water volume, high velocities.:headbang:

Let me know what you think, changes, comments, love it, hate it, fry me if you must. I am looking for any thoughts on this at all. I dont think I will stop thinking about it until I build something.Thanks for having me. :hello:

Go for it!! The guys at Heckler did a great job on the study and really help breakdown the understanding of how Clarkson style riffles work. It may take some time to dial in the right spacing and 1/4" can make a great difference, so you may want to build a jig allowing some adjustment until you find the spacing you want before welding something up. Another tip is to make a ramp for the first riffle to bring the flow up to the leading lip, this will eliminate the rooster tail caused by the first riffle which can effect the next couple of riffles operation. In the Clarkson style the riffle vortex is not simply the function of a single angle iron like a Hungarian, but the function of the leading and following riffles. A majority of the energy to drive the riffle vortex is derived from the vortex hitting the following riffle leading edge. This is probably the most misunderstood point and a lot of folks don't install them correctly resulting in their belief that they don't work well. I probably haven't mentioned anything you haven't already learned based on your research so I'll just say go for it. Some distance of slick plate prior to the ramp and first riffle will also help stratify the material before hitting the first riffle and will help overall recovery. Like Heckler, I also like the modified Clarkson's better so it may be worth exploring.

I think some of the reasoning behind most manufacturers staying away from Clarkson style riffles is that they are harder to get right and require a more careful approach to spacing, angle, and velocity/flow. It is much simpler to build a "forgiving" Hungarian riffle style system (my 2 cents).

I was wondering about a ramp. I wasn't sure if that was normal practice for that style riffle. I was going to build a jig for welding purposes but hadn't though about using if for testing. That is a great idea! thank you for the input!

I welded up the new riffles this weekend. rebuilding some other parts this week and then I will post some pics. The welds are a little ugly but I think it will work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back