Hi, looking for help with these stones I found....

Ladybuggz

Greenie
Nov 17, 2015
Vancouver Island,
Detector(s) used
Eye-Balls
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I live on Vancouver Island, BC, I found the first stone near the shore line of a large fresh water lake after a summer of drought making the lake level's go down about 6 -10 ft. I always keep my eyes open for neat rocks and things! I went back a few months later and even though the lake level was back up to the shore line I was still finding these stones.
Take a look and if you can help, let me know. DSCF1023.JPGDSCF1022.JPGDSCF1021.JPGDSCF1020.JPGDSCF1017.JPGDSCF1009.JPGDSCF1016.JPGDSCF1008.JPGDSCF1010.JPGDSCF1007.JPGDSCF1006.JPGDSCF1003.JPG
I have a feeling they are native but how old and what were they used for?? sitting,carving, wasting time?instead of tap tap tap of a key board! lol...:laughing7:

The fact that they are pitted means one of the constituents is weathering out faster than its neighbors. And the lines are probably natural fractures that healed by an infiltration material (sandstone maybe?) which is also weathering faster than its host and leaving those neat lines. The darker colors may be biotite mica and the lighter colors may be quartz and feldspar. The pitting is probably a result of the feldspar and biotite reacting faster with the lake water than the more resistant quartz. Nice stones! Thanks for photographing and sharing them!

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Upvote 1
I found these on the shore of a fresh water lake. I don't think I agree with "natural fractures as they are too perfect" but I guess nature can make things perfect!
Ok, next.....????

Upvote 0
I agree...those lines do appear unnatural and they could be manmade. One way to see if they are only superficial is to bust one open.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back