Hi from England

castle keep

Oct 23, 2007
ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Any that go bleep !!!!!
I've been looking at this site for over a year on and of and have finally joined up so i can post my finds here in England, In fact i'm looking forward to sharing my finds with you nearly as much as finding them (well not quite). I dig some cool fields and places i know that has had activity for many centuries so it could be exciting, i will also slip in some recent finds along the way. I have a cool old small flintlock i want to post and see if i can get some information on it from you guys.
Watch this space 8) 8) 8)

Upvote 0
Welcome aboard.

Good to see the UK numbers growing.

Can't wait to see your stuff.

KirkPA said:
It is about time we get a UK datectorist on here to compete with Crusader. :P :D
I agree. Lets see the good stuff Castle. Unless Crusader has found all of the good stuff already. Sometimes I think he has. Welcome to the site.

KirkPA said:
It is about time we get a UK datectorist on here to compete with Crusader. :P :D

Its not hard, as I've said before I'm just above average. Its the team effort which ensures good land coverage & therefore more finds.

I hope Castle has a nice Saxon area or is from Norfolk? Then we are in for a treat :)

Well i don't know about competing with anyone as i'm just lucky i live in West Sussex which is alive with history going back to the begining of time so i guess a deaf monkey couldn't fail to find relics but thanks for the warm welcome :)

castle keep said:
Well i don't know about competing with anyone as i'm just lucky i live in West Sussex which is alive with history going back to the begining of time so i guess a deaf monkey couldn't fail to find relics but thanks for the warm welcome :)

I hope you show Crusader how it is done. :P Just kidding, bud, go find some Saxon wilver! I can't wait to see your finds.

castle keep said:

Thats my pet name for my Dad. He does OK :D

Is it ok to still post some of my older finds in this section? or should i post them elsewhere ::) ::) ::)

castle keep said:
Is it ok to still post some of my older finds in this section? or should i post them elsewhere ::) ::) ::)

Probably best put them in the 'best finds' section.

Here's a HEARTY Tnet welcome to you! I look forward to seeing all your great finds!

Regards,

Buckleboy

Hi CK, can't wait to see some of your finds, so far no one to date gets as hammered as Crusader ;)

cottonjim said:
Hi CK, can't wait to see some of your finds, so far no one to date gets as hammered as Crusader ;)

You know the score, I love getting hammered :)

Rare coin breaks auction record
The Edward III double florin
The coin was found in the south of England earlier this year
A buyer has paid £460,000 at auction for a rare medieval gold coin which has broken the record for a British coin.

The Edward III double florin, known as a double leopard and with a face value of six shillings, was circulated from December 1343 until July 1344.

It is only the third known surviving coin, with two others found in the River Tyne in 1857.

The price paid at Spink auction house, which included buyer's premium, was three times the estimate of £150,000.

Edward III double florin
Full length portrait of king
King is seated on throne
Holding a sword and sceptre
Crowned leopards' heads on each side
Decorated with fleur de lis
Reverse shows small leopards

"We knew that there would be a huge interest, but this surpassed all of our expectations," said Jeremy Cheek, head of Spink Coin Auctions.

The coin was bought by dealer Ian Goldbart, managing director of AH Baldwin and Sons, for Avarae Global Coins, a global coin fund.

The coin - the first large gold one in England after centuries of silver ones - was found in February by a metal-detecting enthusiast in the south of England.

The location is not being revealed to prevent an influx of other detectors.

Attachments

• doubleleopard.jpg
    doubleleopard.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 455
I remember it well.

Did the landowner get his share of the agreement, if there was one?

From one English man to another Welcome. Im now living in California and did'nt pick up a detector till i got out here, seeing a find from Los Angeles from the late 1800 gets our heart pumping, I really wish i had been into detecting when i lived back home.
Looking forward to seeing all your great finds.

castle keep said:
I say ex member because his detector only would work at night for some strange reason :o :o :o so i doubt any details were disclosed to stop other people detecting there, which was all rather convenient ;D ;D ;D

He doesn't deserve a penny of that money then, in my opinion. I hope someone hunting at night mistakes him for a fox.

Fotgot to say, I like your quote under the Castle avatar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back