Heres my whatsit

OldBillinUT

Feb 7, 2004
Here's my whatsit

Here is one that has me stumped. I found this in my yard last week with my Tesoro when the weather was nice.

whatsit1.jpg

whatsit2.jpg

OB

Re: Here's my whatsit

Two things come to mind.

Bottle opener for a vintage vending machine.

Painters Airless gun tip safety protector (half of it)

Tony

Upvote 0

Flag pole holder? It looks like the end with the hole is curved for the pole to go into? The other end (broken) mounted to the porch pillar? First thing that came to mind.

Upvote 0

Thanks Tony and CG I can see the bottle opener idea for sure. What was confusing me was the curve of the non business end it doesn't look like it was bent and broken. There are no splits in the curve on that end. Hmmm flagpole holder hadn't thought of that but could be. I need to get it cleaned up.
Sorry for the offset post I thought I had it centered.

OB

Upvote 0

The apparent arch reminds me of a combo shoe horn and bottle opener. But the 45 degree bend to the edge of mojjax's item makes me question my own suggestion. LOL

PID1923.jpg

Upvote 0

TreasureTales said:
The apparent arch reminds me of a combo shoe horn and bottle opener. But the 45 degree bend to the edge of mojjax's item makes me question my own suggestion. LOL

PID1923.jpg

Take your shoe off.........then open your bottle with it..........Oh YUCK!

Upvote 0

I've found the exact same thing in my back yard. It is too thick to be a bottle opener or shoe horn. I think that it is a type of rein guide for a horse and buggy. The leather would lay across the curved area and go through the hole...I suck at explanations but I think that is what it is.

Upvote 0

I vote with Romeo. Looks like a fairlead for a leather strap.

What kind of socket did the ash bales on a Conestoga(sp?) style wagon have? Had to be something like that so the canopy could be removed easily.

Upvote 0

Thanks everyone I was looking for more on your suggestions and one of the google hits was a UK finds database that has pics of finds including some horse related. The finds located in the UK just floor me every time I see what fantastic stuff is in those pics. This place is part of an old farm so I can see horse or wagon hardware for sure.

OB

Upvote 0

I think it's a broken tine off a spring-tooth harrow.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back