Hematite plummet

rvrpilot

Jun 6, 2008
This hematite plummet was found while metal detecting here in Illinois last fall,I received permission to hunt on a new site where an old farm had once stood,I had been in the field for a little over an hour or so,finding a few wheats,marbles and a melted dime ,when I spotted the plummet laying right on top of the ground.This is only the second one that I have found in over 25 years of searching for relics, To say the least it made my day. HH

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,119
  • Scan1.jpg
    Scan1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,107
Upvote 0
Congradulations one the finds. HH....

I am unsure of the term plummet. so I looked it up in dictionary. Does this mean it occurred naturaly? if so, that is a great find. even if not, still a great find. how can you tell it is hematite? by the weight? sorry for the many guestions.

I'm sorry about not explaining that a plummet is a Native American artifact, some say they were used as a type of bolo.to snare birds and other small game. Hematite is a natural type of iron ore.

Congratulations on a rare find.Out of roughly a couple thousand artifacts found over the years, I too have only found two plummets.One is grooved and the other is drilled.Both are Hematite.Most of the ones from the area I hunt are found in the water or very close to the bank of a stream or lake.Both of mine came from underwater in the same creek.My personal theories are that they were net weights or bola stones used to ensnare large birds such as cranes.If you ever want to see some amazing examples,check out Poverty Point in Louisiana.

Very interesting find. I swear I learn something new everyday on this site :read2:
Dan

Very nice plummet find rvrpilot. We may not find all the good stuff they find out east yet, but we do turn up some of the nice things. Congrats on your other finds too.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:

Thanks to all who responded to this post,if any one out there would like to do a resize on my photo,I'd appreciate it.

thanx for explaining what a plummet is. what a great find. we have a lot of hematite here in MO, so I will have to look for plummets now.
here are directions on resizing pix. if you need any help let me know.

here is the way I resize my pics.
okey dokey! this is how ya do it- - -
right click on pick you want to size
scroll down to" open with" & click Paint
image will appear in paint window
go up to left hand corner of window & click on Image
click on stretch/skew
new window will open with boxes
in horizontal box put in 25
in vertical put in 25 & click ok
your pic should be resized make sure you save as, I use title & email so I can find it easily. any problems let me know. hope this helps

Attachments

• plummet.jpg
    plummet.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 349

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back