?? Help with Wheatie Found Dectecting..weighs 4.2??

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone. Posted this in the "Coins" section..but think it belongs here...

I went out detecting a couple weeks ago, when i dug what appeared to be a Button, but when I flipped it over, I saw the Wheat back

I thought it might have been alot of dirt clumped on the front of it, But after Cleaning it, i noticed it was copper all the way thru

Can someone tell me what this is, or why this is like this?

The Penny weighs in at 4.2grams and is Copper all the way thru...
Its dome shaped on the top

has anyone seen this before. I thought it might be a Wheat Penny Button, But theres no sign of a shank or anything else to make me belive that

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• Wheat.JPG
    Wheat.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 436
  • Wheat1.JPG
    Wheat1.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 433
  • Wheat2.JPG
    Wheat2.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 439
  • Wheat.JPG
    Wheat.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 438
  • Wheat1.JPG
    Wheat1.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 427
  • Wheat2.JPG
    Wheat2.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 429
wow, thats very interesting. i've never seen anything like that. if i had to guess, mint error? i really have no idea :dontknow:

Upvote 0
wstgo said:
looks like someone tried to make a button

Thats what i thought too..Kinda like how people made buttons out of Buffs..I just dont get why its so much heavier, and how they filled the front with copper?..it was new to me...At first i thought it was 2 pennies stuck to each other...but its one solid coin..

Upvote 0
At first i thought " its a die!" then I thought "oops it is not reversed" :dontknow: Then I thought Mint error but I don't think that a mint error would give you that shape, so that leaves a button.

Upvote 0
texastee2007 said:
in the picture where you are holding them together for comparison....is there any chance the flat/image free side has been added? It looks like I can see a faint seem running along the edge of the wheatie.

You know..it might have been, somethign is odd about the way its on there...I was going to grind it a bit, but wanted to make sure it wasnt anything special...Its just odd to me because its copper all the way thru..they did a good job of whatever they were doing...just odd...plus the fact there wasnt a shank or anythign on it...I acutally dug it up about 8 inches deep with the ACE250..and wasnt expecting this

Thanks for looking

Upvote 0
That's a most unusual penny, and I'm posting so I can keep up with this thread. Breezie

Upvote 0
texastee2007 said:
I'd hate for you to wreak something rare there is no way to split it?...can you see the edge or is it just my bad eyes? Be neat if it was covering something secret.

Well I looked at it again last night..and its not really an edge that i could split, its just rigid around the rim of the coin..

Thanks again for the replies....This is one of the reasons I love this hobby..

Upvote 0
I have found two coin replicas that are smooth and flat on one side..Both I found to be inserts on jewelry or studding. But they were both replicas of larger denominations. In the case of this wheat penny, my guess would be it may have been an insert from a pair of penny loafers which were very popular during the 50's. My only reservation on that guess is the penny loafers I remember sold with a real penny in them. And it seems it would be cheaper to insert a real penny rather than manufacture a replica. Anyway, alittle food for thought.

Upvote 0
Could be it picked up the extra weight with the corrosion. I would try electrolysis. The obverse clearly has little or no features left so i don't think you'd be doing anymore damage that has not already been done. I am placing my bet on an unfinshed button. They smoothed out the face to etch some initials or art and then lost it.

Upvote 0
Hmm odd for sure.

Normal weight is about 3.2 grams so this is more than 30% greater...corrosion wouldn't account for that.

Wild guess...perhaps a magic trick prop?

Any trace of Lincoln's face? Hard to tell from photo.

HH Joe

Upvote 0
yea id go with electrolysis, an see how it cleans up, wouldn't be hurting anything,, odd find tho bro.. i love finding stuff that ya just cant figure out what it is..

Upvote 0
Me too! ;D But I think it was 1969 and I was in 3rd grade. I think we finally put dimes in there and they sure came in handy one day when a 15 cent toy was all the rage in school! My Penny Loafers sure didn't come with pennies in them!!! :'(

High Plains Digger said:
You received pennies in your penny loafers???? I was ripped off. I had to put mine in, and it was somewhat of a job. And that was in 1968.

Upvote 0
Eric--why didn't you get a ??? from the censor when you wrote Penny Loafers, like I did? Oops, that may be fodder for another one. If I don't get at least one ??? in every posting, I feel like I am not being interesting.

Upvote 0
Well...I got home last night...and of course Curiosity go the best of me...So I went home and started cleaning it with a scouring pad, and found out that the top is actually Brass :icon_scratch: on top of the Copper Penny...So I'm guess that someone started a button? :dontknow:

Just odd because I found it in the middle of a Soccer field...Kinda makes me wonder how it got there...and what else is odd, is the Fact that after cleaning it, there was no ridge, its like brass was melted on top and smoothed out for whatever reason...

Well, thanks for all the replies..

Upvote 0
It is There Because It is There. That is the wisdom of the ages, grasshopper. When you accept this, you will sleep better, butterflies will be more colorful, and puppies won't loose it while playing on your lap.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back