✅ SOLVED Help with two bullets please

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
The longer one measures 1 [SUP]3[/SUP]/[SUB]32[/SUB]" (27.84mm) by [SUP]9[/SUP]/[SUB]16[/SUB]" (14.14 mm) in diameter while the other one measures [SUP]57[/SUP]/[SUB]64[/SUB]" (22.48mm) long by [SUP]37[/SUP]/[SUB]64[/SUB]" (14.75mm) in diameter.
I think the longer one may bee a Whitworth, but would like confirmation. I haven't a clue on the other one.

Attachments

• bullets.jpg
    bullets.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 96
  • bullets2.jpg
    bullets2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 88
The longer one works out to .56 caliber by 1.09, which I think rules out a Whitworth as all of them I'm aware of were .45 by 1.3 or 1.4 something. But it does match up pretty close with a number of Enfields. The other looks post-CW era to me, though at .58 caliber I'm uncertain what it would be.

Upvote 0
dsc07329
dsc07333

BLT 13. Dug .54 Cal. Confederate”Tall” Enfield.

This bullet measeures 1.25″ tall and is in superb condition. These are only found in late war Western Theatre sites. This particular one was dug by Greg Johnstone near Brentwood, TN.

The bullet on the left is the 54 cal. Enfield. Nice find. The bullet on the right is most likely after 1870's

Upvote 0
Thanks all! I appreciate your help.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but I must speak up with a correction. As Mirage 83 indicated, your measurements of the first bullet translate to 1.09" length, and .56-diameter (which is a .577/.58-caliber muzzleloader bullet). Therefore it is not a .54-caliber "Tall" Enfield "found only in late war Western Theater sites." It is a .577/.58-caliber Enfield cast in a Confederate-made mold, found more often in "Western Theater" sites but also in Virginia and the Carolinas. It is shown as bullet #146-C (diameter .564", length 1.10", with rounded nose) in the "Handbook Of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges." If you don't have that book, the McKee-&-Mason book shows it as bullet #227 (diameter .560", length 1.08", with rounded nose). The second bullet is a 20th Century "semi-wadcutter" Minie-ball made for use by modernday Blackpowder rifle shooters -- which is why it is not shown in any of the various civil war bullet reference-books. I cannot find an exact match for it at Blackpowder Buffalo Arms or Lyman-Mold websites, but it closely resembles the large-caliber semi-wadcutters shown on page 1 and page two at the Buffalo Arms website: .460 Diameter & Up Cast Bullets | Shop .460 Diameter & Up Cast Bullets at Buffalo Arms

Vol1266-X, please re-check Creskol's photos... his modern one (which looks rusty) has the "swaged" base, not his Enfield.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Pete .. I appreciate your help.

Upvote 0
Thanks for correcting me cannon. I say my mistake after posting and knew it to be instead a .577/58. Why I didn't re-reply, not sure.. maybe because I know they can vary from slight impacts, being fired or carved. Glad you stepped in when you did. thanks

Upvote 0
BigBobBow, I appreciate your reply. At another civil war relics discussion website, which unfortunately no longer exists, my signature-line said "The person who provides proof that I am incorrect has done me a favor, not an insult." I'm glad we are in agreement about that.

For the record:
If I post a relic-ID that is incorrect, please feel free to speak up with reliable proof. I never take offense at that.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back