help with threshold hum, Nokta Legend

HistoryHunter22

Apr 19, 2015
Cortland NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150, bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ahhh beggining to think i was understanding what i was doing after 60+ hours on the legend and i think ive fudged up. when it comes to the threshold setting on the legen, you can change it from 0-30 with 0 having no hum and 30 being the loudest hum. Me, irresponsibly went ahead without any real knowlegde and turned it to 0 and have been running silent for the last idk atleast year. no hum quiet as a chirch mouse i thought i done had this thing figured out. good find were happening on the occasion so i was satisfied. until i dropped my ring on the ground for a quick air test and it couldnt pick this thing up 5inches of the ground uncovered(i wear a silver us quarter made into a ring) confused i dug back into the manual and read the the threshold has direct connection with depth. not good for me. my question is, what does the hum do? what do you run your legend threshold hum on? abd how much do you think ive been leaving behind or is the hum not that serious?

Without threshold "hum" you will miss many deep targets, even with a digital readout, you want to have a threshold. A slight bump in threshold is a possible good target that is deep that you will miss with out a threshold.

any thoughts?
You may not know this but the Legend utilizes two different types of thresholds

in Park, Field and Beach Modes the legend uses what is called a Reference threshold, what that Reference threshold does is to alert you that you have just swung your coil over a target that you have notched out, if you run in all metal mode it is pretty much a useless threshold and pointless background noise, the Reference threshold cannot cost you depth or gain you any depth

Gold Mode utilizes a true or live threshold which is what most are accustomed to using, for me personally the gold mode threshold is the only threshold that is beneficial in the Legend

Below is a video put out by Liam Dyson (History Revisited) on the two thresholds that are being used in the Legend

...when it comes to the threshold setting on the legen...
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from HELP! over to BRANDS > NOKTA LEGEND for more exposure.
tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum HELP! contains guides tutorials on how to use the new TreasureNet.com software.

I'm not familiar with the Ledgen, but TH is correct in that there are two different types of thresholds, and some machines actually have both depending on what mode/program you're running.

While thresholds respond to both ferrous and non-ferrous objects in the ground, a "generalized threshold" only responds when the returns are strong enough for classification, whereas, a "true threshold" will respond to even the very faintest and weakest of returns including those that are so weak or faint that they can't be processed or classified.

So in essence, a general threshold is just an indicator of those other items in the ground that we might have otherwise notched out or in the case of a chosen iron elimination feature, etc. And it will only break or pause on those returns that would otherwise be strong enough to be classified and processed.

A true threshold, on the other hand, will break or pause on any return, regardless how strong or weak it might be. This is the only type of threshold that can alert the detectorist to potentially desired targets that are either very small or too deep to be processed and/or classified.

Make sense?

absolutely!!! thank you all for the valuable input! i dont notch anything, i run in all metal and usually jump around from field 1 or beach MW. if im understanding correctly, the threshold in those programs i use is basically useless? havnt turned gold mode on much but say i wanted the benefit of the true threshold, could i use gold mode for deep coins or is it weighted to high and not sense them any how?

ahhh beggining to think i was understanding what i was doing after 60+ hours on the legend and i think ive fudged up. when it comes to the threshold setting on the legen, you can change it from 0-30 with 0 having no hum and 30 being the loudest hum. Me, irresponsibly went ahead without any real knowlegde and turned it to 0 and have been running silent for the last idk atleast year. no hum quiet as a chirch mouse i thought i done had this thing figured out. good find were happening on the occasion so i was satisfied. until i dropped my ring on the ground for a quick air test and it couldnt pick this thing up 5inches of the ground uncovered(i wear a silver us quarter made into a ring) confused i dug back into the manual and read the the threshold has direct connection with depth. not good for me. my question is, what does the hum do? what do you run your legend threshold hum on? abd how much do you think ive been leaving behind or is the hum not that serious?
I’ve been swinging the Legend for 3 years. I normally run in Park & Field.
In Park I normally run Multi 2 with only the ground noise canceled out & the rest fully open.
I never use the threshold hummm.
I have a test garden & I am constantly testing all modes.
Recovery speed, Iron Filter, Stability etc….
I have yet to find any difference between 0-30 threshold, but I never run in all metal mode.
I’ve pulled some incredibly deep targets out. Pulled a 1877 Seated quarter with the super small LG15 6” coil at 9-10” deep.
To be honest I’ve found more deep silver with the 6” coil. I’m not sure why? Maybe it penetrates the ground further when in high trashy or iron infested ground.

absolutely!!! thank you all for the valuable input! i dont notch anything, i run in all metal and usually jump around from field 1 or beach MW. if im understanding correctly, the threshold in those programs i use is basically useless? havnt turned gold mode on much but say i wanted the benefit of the true threshold, could i use gold mode for deep coins or is it weighted to high and not sense them any how?
I run in Gold mode almost exclusively, for one in my opinion the gold mode is the deepest of all four modes on the ground I detect, also in my opinion your assessment is correct that the threshold in park, field and beach modes is useless if running in A (All Metal Mode)

I’ve been swinging the Legend for 3 years. I normally run in Park & Field.
In Park I normally run Multi 2 with only the ground noise canceled out & the rest fully open.
I never use the threshold hummm.
I have a test garden & I am constantly testing all modes.
Recovery speed, Iron Filter, Stability etc….
I have yet to find any difference between 0-30 threshold, but I never run in all metal mode.
I’ve pulled some incredibly deep targets out. Pulled a 1877 Seated quarter with the super small LG15 6” coil at 9-10” deep.
To be honest I’ve found more deep silver with the 6” coil. I’m not sure why? Maybe it penetrates the ground further when in high trashy or iron infested ground.
that makes me feel better!!! i love my lg15 but put it on the back burner for a while thinking i was loosing depth. 9-10" deep is very nice, i think ill put that back on. can you remember what the seated ring up? does notching out affect depth?

I run in Gold mode almost exclusively, for one in my opinion the gold mode is the deepest of all four modes on the ground I detect, also in my opinion your assessment is correct that the threshold in park, field and beach modes is useless if running in A (All Metal Mode)
whats your experience on gold mode and coins? hows the machine respond? recovery speed? im hearing to high of a recovery speed affects depth

whats your experience on gold mode and coins? hows the machine respond? recovery speed? im hearing to high of a recovery speed affects depth
I run my recovery speed at very low settings 1-3, my IF 0-3 normally on zero, my detection is mainly for gold nuggets but I do occasionally detect for coins and jewelry the Legend does good in gold mode on coins and jewelry, in gold mode the Legend hits quite hard on coins and jewelry, I have experimented in my two year old test bed on coins in the other modes but find myself always going back to the Gold mode, mainly because of the true threshold that the gold mode offers, I have yet to load the new 1.15 version yet so cannot comment as to how the new version changed anything I am running 1.11 version

On the subject of small coils, one has to keep in mind that because of the reduced size of the search field it can then become possible to hunt deeper and with more sensitivity and stability than with the larger one. This is actually a quite common situation, especially in trashy or highly mineralized conditions.

If you folks want me to I'll create a new Youtube channel and repost some of the videos I had posted on an old channel that will help to explain many of the various aspects and nuances regarding topics like notch, recovery speeds, thresholds and those differences, coil sizes, etc.

The old Youtube channel I had I deleted because I was pretty certain that my detecting days were over, but alas, looks as though I've found a way to continue doing it for a while longer. So if you think those videos will help just let me know and I get started on it.

On the subject of small coils, one has to keep in mind that because of the reduced size of the search field it can then become possible to hunt deeper and with more sensitivity and stability than with the larger one. This is actually a quite common situation, especially in trashy or highly mineralized conditions.

If you folks want me to I'll create a new Youtube channel and repost some of the videos I had posted on an old channel that will help to explain many of the various aspects and nuances regarding topics like notch, recovery speeds, thresholds and those differences, coil sizes, etc.

The old Youtube channel I had I deleted because I was pretty certain that my detecting days were over, but alas, looks as though I've found a way to continue doing it for a while longer. So if you think those videos will help just let me know and I get started on it.
I, for one, would be most appreciative.

That would be fantastic for you to do that bigscoop:

ill be the first to watch, drop a lino and let me know when its up boss!

I run my recovery speed at very low settings 1-3, my IF 0-3 normally on zero, my detection is mainly for gold nuggets but I do occasionally detect for coins and jewelry the Legend does good in gold mode on coins and jewelry, in gold mode the Legend hits quite hard on coins and jewelry, I have experimented in my two year old test bed on coins in the other modes but find myself always going back to the Gold mode, mainly because of the true threshold that the gold mode offers, I have yet to load the new 1.15 version yet so cannot comment as to how the new version changed anything I am running 1.11 version
Pretty much the same with the Equinox. At a slower recovery speed and with the 6" coil I get really good depth and separation isn't an issue even in really trashy areas simply due to the smaller search field. Not only this, but swing rates don't have to be nearly as slow as many think either.

It's difficult for a lot of people to switch from the larger coils to the smaller ones because it seems they have a pencil eraser at the end of their detector shaft after being use to those larger coils......:laughing7:

Pretty much the same with the Equinox. At a slower recovery speed and with the 6" coil I get really good depth and separation isn't an issue even in really trashy areas simply due to the smaller search field. Not only this, but swing rates don't have to be nearly as slow as many think either.

It's difficult for a lot of people to switch from the larger coils to the smaller ones because it seems they have a pencil eraser at the end of their detector shaft after being use to those larger coils......:laughing7:

i love my 6" coil but thought i was losing depth, i was running my tecovery wayyyyyy to high thinking i needed it. i plan i putting the 6" and lowering the recovery along with dabbling in gold mode a weebit

i love my 6" coil but thought i was losing depth, i was running my tecovery wayyyyyy to high thinking i needed it. i plan i putting the 6" and lowering the recovery along with dabbling in gold mode a weebit
Right. One of the things I tell users to try is to setup their machine with the large coil for just dime and quarters using whatever mode they desire, notching everything else out and using whatever recovery speed and other settings they are comfortable with, then go hunt a trashy area in a well-managed tight grid.

Once the above has been done put on the 6" coil, use the gold mode and the slowest recovery speed and then go hunt that same exact grid again and tell me how many quarters and dimes you recovered. For those who have tried this they are usually amazed at how much they missed with the larger coil.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back