image.jpeg
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    980.6 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
I googled Chalcedony just now and it's beautiful not sure if this is what I have. Each one of these has a slight pattern on one side and then bowl like on the other side. I really appreciate your help I'll continue to look up your suggestion.

Upvote 0
Geodes is the consensus. Beautiful rocks. People slice them thin and make necklaces and jewelry out of them or cut in half and make table arrangement.

Upvote 0
This still hasn't been solve as to what the actual mineral is. A geode is a description of a crystal formation and not just a type of rock or mineral. Also some do not have the cavities in them.
ge·ode
ˈjēōd/Submit
noun
a small cavity in rock lined with crystals or other mineral matter.
a rock containing a cavity lined with crystals or other mineral matter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This still hasn't been solve as to what the actual mineral is. A geode is a description of a crystal formation and not just a type of rock or mineral. Also some do not have the cavities in them.
ge·ode
ˈjēōd/Submit
noun
a small cavity in rock lined with crystals or other mineral matter.
a rock containing a cavity lined with crystals or other mineral matter.

Could be blue quartz

Upvote 0
We (this area of the country) usually call them Thunder Eggs. They can have crystals, chalcedony or many other colors and configurations. (still a geode). If you look them up in Google images, you can find hundreds of them. They are really neat - and sometimes a bit hard to find even when you are in the middle of a pile of them, because they are pretty plain on the outside. (cool on the inside) :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
those are siliceous stones, chalcedony is as good a name as any for these types of agate material. Typically they are formed by mineral rich soups filling holes (think of bubbles in soda), in underlying rocks. Often but not always associated with volcanism, these minerals fill gaps, cracks and bubbles and over time the minerals precipitate out, which is why you often see layers.

Upvote 0
We find those all the time in the Arkansas river.I have tried to find out what they are for years.One person at the Sand Springs Museum called them Snot Agate.But i have never found them mentioned anywhere else by that name.

Upvote 0
A lady from the rock club had a black light and these pieces light up and were beautiful. I'm still working on getting them cut. I'll update with pictures later.

Upvote 0
Try putting a little hydrogen peroxide on the outside surface, if it fizzles it most likely has a limestone base and would be a limestone nodule. If it doesn't react to the hydrogen peroxide it most likely is quartz.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back