Help with information about 17th century flea trap

edteach

Feb 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a couple of these that had screw studs on the bottom. I was told by an antique dealer that it was for a bone letter opener that was once attached and that the hole in the top was for a stanhope. I sold them off years ago, but since then I found that it looks exactly like a 17th century flea trap. I wonder if the letter opener was something that was a dual purpose thing. A letter opener and flea trap that could be detached and worn around the neck. I tried to look up the history of these but can find very little. Thanks for any help.
bone flea trap letter opener.jpg
Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 8.48.10 AM.png

From what I could find it was invented by a German doctor Franz Ernst in the early 1700s. They were baited with a pieces of fur with blood on it to attract the fleas, sometimes cloth with honey and blood was used as well. Used by all classes of people due to the living conditions and sanitation standards at the time, the rich making fancy ones used as accessories.

It's beautifully carved, but if it were to have served as a flea trap, it should pull apart or unscrew. There needs to be a way to insert the bait and remove dead fleas trapped by it.

I bought the letter opener, also picked up this one, it looks like this one is just for wearing around the neck. I can not find much on these. This is about all I have found so far.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1
  • bone flea trap letter opener.jpg
    bone flea trap letter opener.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 8.48.10 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 8.48.10 AM.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 11.59.17 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 11.59.17 AM.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 12.00.02 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 12.00.02 PM.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 3
That second one deffo looks like a flea trap.

They've been used for centuries. Very popular in Britain during the time of the Black Death in the middle ages but most examples are Georgian or later, during the period when large wigs were commonly worn (by both sexes). The bait was most commonly a rolled piece of rag or linen that has been smeared with animal fat, blood, honey or jam.

Not sure what else you want to know, apart from the info and examples that can easily be found by Googling.

That second one deffo looks like a flea trap.

They've been used for centuries. Very popular in Britain during the time of the Black Death in the middle ages but most examples are Georgian or later, during the period when large wigs were commonly worn (by both sexes). The bait was most commonly a rolled piece of rag or linen that has been smeared with animal fat, blood, honey or jam.

Not sure what else you want to know, apart from the info and examples that can easily be found by Googling.
who made them? Was it in England, India ect? The ones with the letter opener on the end are defiantly a letter opener but the flea trap part opens up with a cap so you have access to the inside of the carved put part. It must be a type of flea trap. Maybe one that was not worn but kept near by on a desk to trap fleas. I found these two on eBay and the sellers did not know what they were. The last one was said to be a sewing needle case. I have seen sewing needle cases and non have all these holes drilled in them. If the letter opener is not a combo flea catcher then why can it be opened up so you have access to the inside of the hollowed out part where all the holes are drilled. I have also read that they can double as a sent dismemberment. That a small rag with some perfume dabbed on it and let the sent come out as its used.

The ivory ones mostly came from one of several Asian countries... notably China and India. This one sold for $100, and note that it also has a Stanhope in the top.

Flea Trap.jpg

The seller had the date wrong though, claiming it to be 18th Century. For those that don't know, a Stanhope is a tiny optical device that acts like a microscope. They were often mounted in decorative items such as pendants and rings as well as in ornaments, souvenirs and toys with a microphotograph at the end as a novelty. You could squint through the hole and see the picture. Anything with a Stanhope won't be before 1859 when René Dagron built a factory to produce his 1857 invention in quantity (unless the Stanhope has been added at a later date).

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back