Help with identify a Meteor.

Bart98

Aug 21, 2024
Hi everyone, first, i want say sorry for my english, its not very good.

I want to know if the next ''item '' its a real meteor. I know its difficult identify, but just want to know your opinions, thank you very much for your time.. Is attracted by a magnet, and weighs 42 grams.
Imagen de WhatsApp 2024-08-21 a las 15.13.04_ea4a10f1.jpg

Welcome to Tnet.

Did you find this or buy it?

It has some resemblance to Campo del Cielo specimens from Argentina. These are metallic crystalline portions from a very large meteorite fall which are isolated from larger masses for sale to collectors. They dip them in liquid nitrogen to make them brittle and hit them with a lump hammer to break them up. They're then tumble polished and chemically treated to remove any rust.

If you found this (where?) rather than purchased it, then it's unlikely to be a meteorite fragment since it has no evidence of rusting, which happens rather quickly for nickel-iron meteorites. A meteorite would also not have that appearance unless it has been deliberately broken up to exhibit its crystalline structure. More likely a piece of man-made metallic slag.

Last edited:
Welcome to Tnet.

Did you find this or buy it?

It has some resemblance to Campo del Cielo specimens from Argentina. These are metallic crystalline portions from a very large meteorite fall which are isolated from larger masses for sale to collectors. They dip them in liquid nitrogen to make them brittle and hit them with a lump hammer to break them up. They're then tumble polished and chemically treated to remove any rust.

If you found this (where?) rather than purchased it, then it's unlikely to be a meteorite fragment since it has no evidence of rusting, which happens rather quickly for nickel-iron meteorites. A meteorite would also not have that appearance unless it has been deliberately broken up to exhibit its crystalline structure. More likely a piece of man-made metallic slag.
I buy it in mineral store, the price was aprox...30-35€. And yes, i forgot to say but itd theorically Canpo del cielo from Argentina. I Receive this card with the meteor. But it isn't a certificate. Do you thing is genuine meteor? Thanks for the info of how they do it, its nice to know.

Attachments

• 20240821_184454.jpg
    20240821_184454.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
I don;t see any reason to doubt that it's a genuine specimen from the Campo del Cielo fall.

Just for information, an incoming object is a meteoroid. If it burns up in the atmosphere producing a fireball or streak it's a meteor. If it survives atmospheric passage and reaches Earth's surface, it's a meteorite.

Last edited:
No veo ninguna razón para dudar de que sea un ejemplar genuino de la cascada Campo del Cielo.

Solo para información, un objeto que se aproxima es un meteoroide. Si se quema en la atmósfera y produce una bola o una estela de fuego, es un meteorito. Si sobrevive al paso atmosférico y llega a la superficie de la Tierra, es un meteorito.
Oh, nunca entendí la diferencia, gracias por tu tiempo y sabiduría.
But one question. What its called when he doesn"t entry to earth? Asteroid?

Oh, nunca entendí la diferencia, gracias por tu tiempo y sabiduría.
But one question. What its called when he doesn"t entry to earth? Asteroid?

You're welcome.

It's still a meteoroid (although it may have been part of an asteroid). There's a bit of an overlap between the two terms, but 'asteroid' is reserved for larger bodies in orbit around the sun which are smaller than a dwarf planet, and usually for those which are relatively 'intact'. The smallest recognised asteroid is about 2 meters in diameter but meteoroids, as fragments of broken asteroids, can be at least that size, or larger.

The Campo del Cielo meteorite originated as an enormous meteoroid, ejected from its parent body asteroid by a collision with another asteroid.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back