help with garret 350 finding gold...

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the 350 a few weeks now. I've found mostly coin and trash. I haven't found anything yellow gold yet. I've been digging 80% of solid pull tab signals (since it's smack dab in the middle of the gold spectrum). Does gold always hit in the pull tab range? Does it bounce around to iron/silver as well? I know it's kind of a vague question considering gold coins and rings probably spike in different signals. But just wondering from your experiences, where do they normally hit? Thanks for the help!

I do not have a 350 but I have owned a 250 and currently hunt with an ATP. I have found gold with both machines and let me tell you, depending on where you are hunting it can be a challenge. Lol. On the Ace series and the AT series detectors, most gold does show up in the trash range but usually hits hard if it is the only thing under the coil. The last gold I found was in the same hole as a penny so the signal was mixed and I almost didn't dig it! BIG gold rings or pendants will come in higher than a small gold earring and so on. The "Dig everything" motto is a good starting point until you can figure out where to search and increase your odds. You gotta hunt where the gold is to find it. Sounds dumb but you'll figure it out. HH!

Gold will hit anywhere between 40 and 70 depending on its size and karat. Grab a couple gold rings in various sizes and give them a sweep or two, you won't believe the spread and think... Oh Crap! I've been digging pull tab signals and none of these ring up as a pull tab! Then grab a couple gold chains.... whole different ball game when the chains come into play if you can even see them.

Thanks guys! I know it was probably a stupid question lol I've been digging 100% of my pulltabs with no luck so far. I also dig if it's dropping to the "nickel" setting. Looks like I'll have to expand my digs until I hit paydirt! I'll try to find some gold jewelry to test, but I don't have any gold coins to experiment with. Have you guys ever found gold coins? Do they ever jump up into the silver range because they are similar in size to silver coins?

Hey DiggityDiggity, here is a formula I read once.

10,000 pull tabs/beer cap = 1 gold ring.
100,000 junk iron = 1 gold ring.
1 drunk at the beach = 1 gold ring.

I haven’t dug enough holes to know if this is true or not.

Thanks guys! I know it was probably a stupid question lol I've been digging 100% of my pulltabs with no luck so far. I also dig if it's dropping to the "nickel" setting. Looks like I'll have to expand my digs until I hit paydirt! I'll try to find some gold jewelry to test, but I don't have any gold coins to experiment with. Have you guys ever found gold coins? Do they ever jump up into the silver range because they are similar in size to silver coins?

I've never found a gold coin, don't think I ever will where I live. Huge class rings can hit in the 70's but I don't think a gold coin would ever hit in the 80-90 range. Silver can be odd too, I found a 1877 half dime that hit in the low 50's. I found a whole lot has to do with the thickness and size as to getting a VDI that you could rely on. Clad bangs straight on the numbers every time but silver and gold can be very tricky especially in different soil conditions and depths.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back