Help with Fisher CZ 20

My CZ20 took a nap yesterday. It just stopped working , the only sound it would make is a slight crackeling noise when I turned it off.That really sucks too because I was in the process of digging a good sounding mid tone. I was down about a foot and water filled the hole when it went to sleep. I took it back to the truck to check the batties. They were full strength but were a lot warmer than they should have been. So I took the batteries out and took my Omega back to the hole I had started. The target was so deep it could'nt picl it up. Today I put the batteries back in and I works again. But now I don't trust it. Was going to take it to Fla. not now.
Check the power wires at the battery plug, the plug is cheap and the wires get fatigued to failure point and act up. Make sure the contacts between the batt pack board and power plug fit snugly, you might have to bend the female sockets for tighter fit. Make sure all 4 batts snap snugly into the batt board sockets, bend female sockets as needed for tight fit. The battery pack should be well supported with foam cushioning all around to prevent accidental disconnection. Four nine volts are heavy and get knocking around, which will easily break 9V batt connections. The batt pack design of the cz20 is not very good. Also, check the batt plug solder joints on the body power lugs, at the bottom of the batt compartment. These will get fatigued to point of failure eventually.

Soldering on a coil is not really hard, but even I would not attempt it as there is the preasure test for the water. You don't want a CZ-20 that can't hardly be used in the water like the AT Pro. Course I have used my CZ20 diving with no problems.
When is the last time you heard of an AT PRO leaking?

lookindown said:
When is the last time you heard of an AT PRO leaking?

I had a cz20 leak on me back in 94, cracked face plate. Never heard of another cz20 leaker in twenty years. My atpro "fogs up" under the face plate, it shows beads of moisture inside, which is rather disturbing.

CZ's cost a lot of money to manufacture, so Cimino (the CEO who drove the Old Fisher into the ground) decided to take shortcuts to reduce cost. Do that on the mechanical aspect of a CZ20 and you've got a leaker. There were MANY leakers. Some came back again and again because the "repair" consisted of putting it back together the same way that caused it to leak in the first place. When we bought the joint there was a huge pile of CZ20's waiting to be repaired: their tactic was simply to take so long (often several months) to get the machine back to the customer that the customer would finally give up sending the unit back in. I suspect that some entire production runs were leakers and the only ones that didn't leak were the ones that didn't get a thorough dunking.

When I say we bought a horrible mess, I'm tellin' ya, it really was a horrible mess. When I went there before the sale to take a look at what was on the auction block, I was shocked at what I saw. Same building, many of the same people, but an operation totally different from the one I left in '95. Customer demand was falling off a cliff, and for good reason. I thought the boss was nuts for wanting to buy it, but in the end he did succeed in turning the lemon into lemonade.

--Dave J.

well guys..I took my fisher cz out the other day and it did fine for like 10 mins and then it did the same thing with the constant bell tone sound..I let it dry for 2 days and then put some silicone sealant around the connector that goes into the coil...thinking maybe some how water is getting into it...temporary fix..took it out yesterday to the beach to try it out..well it actually worked for an hr this time until it started messing up again..so it has to be the coil that is leaking.btw I never dunked the whole machine in water just the coil...freaking sucks as the coils are not to expensive but the labor part is..well just going to have to wait on that..at least I got an hr out of the quick fix..lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back