diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this on a quick hunt this am. I also found this article but no button to match. Thanks for any help! IMG_20201013_120253326_MP~2.jpgIMG_20201013_120215569_MP~2.jpgIMG_20201013_120132013_MP.jpgScreenshot_20201013-122456.png

I haven't found a similar button yet but if it helps any the backmark dates your button 1860s-1870s. That is according to Tice's Dating Buttons.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much Ripvanb, I appreciate you looking into it!!! I sure gained some insight into post office buttons.
I am amazed you found it fyffytr1. Thank you so much. And thank you for the reference to Tices book. I will pick up a copy of that one!!:occasion14:

Upvote 0
Thank you very much Ripvanb, I appreciate you looking into it!!! I sure gained some insight into post office buttons.
I am amazed you found it fyffytr1. Thank you so much. And thank you for the reference to Tices book. I will pick up a copy of that one!!:occasion14:

You are welcome. You might also want to add the Waterbury web site to your reference library. It has been very helpful to me.

https://waterburybutton.com/

Upvote 0
Just trying to be helpful here... according the McGuinn-&-Bazelon book on dating a metal button by its backmark, a coat-size button saying Waterbury Button Co. *** (note the THREE stars) is late-1800s, not as early as the civil war.

Upvote 0
That site is locked in my head now, thanks for that! This area was only settled in the late 1890s. The more I can learn the better. Thanks always for any information and for the book reference CanonballGuy!! I will have to check that out!! I appreciate everyone's posts!!

Upvote 0
Thanks again for the I. D. The grandfather of the owner of the house worked for the post office. I am meeting with her this am, to give it back. She loves history and this is pretty exciting. Lots to still dig up around there, hopefully we can find a trash dump.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back