Help with colonial (?) button identification (found yesterday)

Dave2000

Oct 13, 2014
Long Island, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (Coils: 5x8, stock, Tornado)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recovered this button yesterday from the same hillside that yielded my oldest find so far (a 17th c. buckle). I found this 8" deep, gave off a strong quarter signal. Weighs 3.09 g. Letters "T A" appear on banner below shield (someone in another forum suggested "Britannia" but the rest of the writing is unclear so far). Any input would be appreciated. I have this up on a few other groups and no solid I.D. leads yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 136
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
That sure is a tough one to find info on. Hope someone finds out what it is for you. Nice find for sure! :)

Upvote 0
Yeah, no real solid I.D. info yet. The town where I found it was founded in 1653, and like I said I found a 17th c. piece in the same area, so there's quite a range of how old it might be. I also found 2 silver dimes about 10 feet away from this (in addition to numerous wheats and some clad nearby), so it's a safe bet nobody has detected this spot before.

Upvote 0
Don't think it's near as early as it looks or you hope it to be. I think it likely dates with the silver dimes.

Upvote 0
Don't think it's near as early as it looks or you hope it to be. I think it likely dates with the silver dimes.

I agree with IP. I believe this is some sort of blazer button although it does not have an iron back as many do. But it still looks 20th century to me.

Upvote 0
:icon_thumleft:

Sure, anything's possible-- but silver dimes (both 1940s) were both at about 1" depth, and this was significantly deeper. The only thing I'm hoping for is a positive I.D. :)

Upvote 0
I agree with IP. I believe this is some sort of blazer button although it does not have an iron back as many do. But it still looks 20th century to me.

Thanks for the feedback. If there's any other pics or info I can post that would clarify anything, please let me know.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back