Help with button (no pics)

BillinPa

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2007
PA
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Silver
When I was out on my last hunt I found a button right about the size of a penny but can't find any info on it on the web. The back where the loop would have been read "GILLET & TORREY WARRANTED" front is either worn real bad or was smooth to begin with. It does look like there may have been a design on the fron looking through a mag glass but can't realy tell. Anyone have any info on this type or the manufacturer. This was found around an old farm foundation that I have been hunting that turned up my first IH just this week. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Bill

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Note: William Torrey was probably born in one of the two houses owned by his grandmother Margaret Thompson Nichols on Broadway between Leonard and Franklin Streets. As a boy he played in the as-yet-unfinished City Hall and was taken by his father, a city alderman, for a ride on Robert Fulton's Clermont in 1807, the year the first economically practical steamboat was built. He wrote "Reminiscences of an Old Man" about his youth in New York City "when all above Grand Street was country." It appeared in Adam's Magazine, Vol. 2, No. 6, in 1892, the year after his death.

Shortly after his marriage, he formed the firm of Gillett & Torrey, importers of hardware. In 1836 he became the agent for the London financial firm of Timothy Wiggen & Co., and wound up that firm's affairs in New York after the panic of 1837. He spent most of his adult life developing real estate in New York City and New Jersey. In New York he built the first London Terrace on West 23rd Street, on the site of the present London Terrace complex. A picture of the first one can be seen in the book Lost New York.

In New Jersey, he was the principal developer of Lakehurst, the land of which had been given to Adeline Torrey by her father as a wedding present, and of the surrounding town of Manchester. The Torrey family owned thousands of acres in that area, built a railroad, named the Raritan and Delaware Bay Railroad, brick kilns, a general store, and other facilities. His contributions to early Manchester are detailed in the book Early Manchester and William Torrey by William S. Dewey, privately printed by the Manchester Publishing Company in 1982. There is a photograph of a portrait of him painted as a young man in that book.

The marriage of William and Adeline Torrey lasted just six months less than seventy years. A library table, bought by Adeline Torrey, probably at the time of her marriage, is in the possession of John Steele Gordon. Made of mahogany with drop leaves and a pineapple pedestal base with four legs, it is a splendid example of the New York style of the period.
Source: (Individual)
Abbreviation: Torrey
Title: Torrey family Bible

SOURCE: http://www.johnsteelegordon.com/genealogy/n_0.html

OP
OP
B

BillinPa

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2007
PA
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Silver
Montana Jim,

Thanks for the info so maybe a piece of hardware instead of a button. Will have to try and get a pick of it up here but it sure looks like a button. Still a very interseting find with an interseting history to the company. The one thing I did notice though in researching is everything kept coming back "GILLETT & TORREY" but, unless a miss stamp or it got worn away the spelling on my find has only one T in Gillett? Still as I said interesting!

Thanks again,

Bill

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
BillinPa said:
Montana Jim,

Thanks for the info so maybe a piece of hardware instead of a button. Will have to try and get a pick of it up here but it sure looks like a button. Still a very interseting find with an interseting history to the company. The one thing I did notice though in researching is everything kept coming back "GILLETT & TORREY" but, unless a miss stamp or it got worn away the spelling on my find has only one T in Gillett? Still as I said interesting!

Thanks again,

Bill

One "T". I missed that! Hmmm... I dunno then - it's the only dang reference I could find! :tard:

Back to square one...

OP
OP
B

BillinPa

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2007
PA
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Silver
Yeah I know how U feel ??? Unless it was some kind of miss strike or something but I went over it time and time again and only one "T". Maybe and early knock off...lol. I've been searching and everything I find has two "t's". Well hopefully there is an answer out there :icon_study:

Thanks again
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread