Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This mystery button is one of several finds this weekend, but I have no idea of its origin. It is slightly convex, with what appears to be a soldier on the front holding a spear or staff in the right hand, and a sword in the left. It was found at a 1756 home site here in Virginia that I hunt often. It looks like it has words on it, or maybe mostly just a design around the edges, but I can clearly see the letters INA at the bottom. It may just be a civilian button, but I've seen several revolutionary period buttons with a similar design, but not quite the same. Any help with this button would appreciated. Thanks for looking.

soldier front.jpgsoldier back.jpg

Man what a find, absolute beauty. Time machine engaged.

Upvote 0
You have a pre Civil War Virginia State Seal button. Nice find.

Thanks. That was my first thought, but on every example I can find, the sword and staff are in the opposite hands. Maybe this is just a rare variation - I hope!

Upvote 0
I can read Colombia on the right side

I didn't want to mention it and poison the well of thought on this, but I had an impression of Columbia on the right side myself. Not sure that gets any closer to a final answer, but at least I know I'm not imagining things.

Upvote 0
FWIW: Looks more like an indian or maybe a spanish conquistador to me (as opposed to soldier).
Plus, while I can't put my finger on exactly why, something tells me this is much further south than Virginia. (Which means it's probaby from somewhere in the arctic circle!)
Maybe I saw something similar on a state college seal somewhere, or advertising?

Another thing that bothers me a little is the figure with the sword is not standing on her (his) opponent (i.e., the tyrant).
That seems to be an essential element of the seal, and without it, the whole image doesn't work.
On the actual Virginia State Seal, the figure is supposed to be a woman - "Virtus".

Anyway, like I said "FWIW".
Could very well be Virginia for all I know.
But I'm pretty sure I've seen that sihouette somewhere... :dontknow:

Upvote 0
I didn't want to mention it and poison the well of thought on this, but I had an impression of Columbia on the right side myself. Not sure that gets any closer to a final answer, but at least I know I'm not imagining things.

Well - Feel free now.
I think I just poisoned it with my post. ???

Inadvertently, of course.

Upvote 0
Could it be Columbia, South Carolina?

Carolina would explain the clear INA at the bottom. Could South Carolina be wrapped around the left side? I also seem to see a cape flowing off of the left shoulder. Anyone else seeing that?

Upvote 0
FWIW: Looks more like an indian or maybe a spanish conquistador to me (as opposed to soldier).
Plus, while I can't put my finger on exactly why, something tells me this is much further south than Virginia. (Which means it's probaby from somewhere in the arctic circle!)
Maybe I saw something similar on a state college seal somewhere, or advertising?

Another thing that bothers me a little is the figure with the sword is not standing on her (his) opponent (i.e., the tyrant).
That seems to be an essential element of the seal, and without it, the whole image doesn't work.
On the actual Virginia State Seal, the figure is supposed to be a woman - "Virtus".

Anyway, like I said "FWIW".
Could very well be Virginia for all I know.
But I'm pretty sure I've seen that sihouette somewhere... :dontknow:

Yeah, I can't help but think I've seen this somewhere before.

Upvote 0
Carolina would explain the clear INA at the bottom. Could South Carolina be wrapped around the left side? I also seem to see a cape flowing off of the left shoulder. Anyone else seeing that?

I see that also. Was thinking wings or maybe a palmetto tree in the background.

Upvote 0
I think this looks close.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477186162.352215.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477186162.352215.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0
Not close enough. I can't ID this but the imagery is odd;
The single figure is hold a spear or pike in their leading 'Right hand', & the Sword in the ground in their 'Left Hand'. To me that suggests the spear/pike is the predominate weapon. But this doesn't help much because that just throws up 2 ideas for me;
15th-16th C German Landsknecht mercenaries
Russian Cossacks

The British Back-Mark is circa 1830, but thats all I've got, other than agreeing it looks like COLOMBIA.

Seems to be some kind of Colonial Militia??

Upvote 0
Not close enough. I can't ID this but the imagery is odd;
The single figure is hold a spear or pike in their leading 'Right hand', & the Sword in the ground in their 'Left Hand'. To me that suggests the spear/pike is the predominate weapon. But this doesn't help much because that just throws up 2 ideas for me;
15th-16th C German Landsknecht mercenaries
Russian Cossacks

The British Back-Mark is circa 1830, but thats all I've got, other than agreeing it looks like COLOMBIA.

Seems to be some kind of Colonial Militia??

Interesting observations, Crusader. One thing not mentioned in my previous description - the figure on front is raised/three dimensional. That, and the convex design, make me think military. Like you, the back mark has me thinking this is some type of post-revolutionary war militia button. I will continue to research in hopes of solving this mystery.

Upvote 0
I dunno man. There is a lot of Columbia's in those states. I will def keep an eye on this one!

Upvote 0
To further muddy the waters, what my old eyes keep seeing at the 6 oclock is MARINA. This may not be a US but an early South American or Spanish button.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back