Help? What is this nifty lil relic i accidently destroyed?:(

H

Holly_squirrel

image-4118507356.jpg
My drawing takes liberties, because some is just too corroded to tell , and im not the best artist. Hoped it could help to identify it.

I thought it was just another heavily corroded huge nail, I find em all over. I tapped it with a tool to crack off some if the corrosion and mud , only to see it was something more. So I soaked and it basically and brushed it and it basically crumbled apart. I glued what I could back on. The cup part had been whole and it was hollow except for the round rod, because it was filled with mud. I glued back together what I could, just hoping for a possible identification.

image-1063144734.jpg

Any thoughts or ideas?

My lord that was a priceless hoganflagle that went to a very rare verpshnyder! What have you done?!?

Unfortunately there is no telling what it is/was due to the very oxidized state it is in. You didn't do anything that time was going to do already. Unless you can remove the ground salts the relic will continue to oxidize into rust crust (i'm a poet and didn't know it). In rare situations you can encase a relic in a sealed coating to try to hold it's shape but inside the oxidation continues. To remove the ground salts you have to reverse the ground effect through something like electrolysis. You would have had very little working metal left after doing that with what you had there. Interesting shape to it. Go back and hit the area you got it from and see what else you turn up, you might find something to give you a clue as to what it was.

Upvote 0
It's a throttle rod to a heifer gear ----------------------------- Just kidding, Dug is telling you the truth.

Upvote 0
Holly. Look into electrolosis for that kind of stuff. It's easy to make a tub to remove that rust from relics. Battery charger, bin, scrap piece of metal, soda washing powder, water. Works great.

Upvote 0
Found something else in that area horribly rotted from rust.... Probably unidentifiable as well..... Uuhhggggg I hate my soil it's like acid

Upvote 0
VictorVincimus said:
Holly. Look into electrolosis for that kind of stuff. It's easy to make a tub to remove that rust from relics. Battery charger, bin, scrap piece of metal, soda washing powder, water. Works great.

Yeah I was looking into that. I got an extra four wheeler battery , would that work ? Probably a stupid question... But I don't know anything about batteries

Upvote 0
You will need a regular battery charger from walmart. Not an automatic one. Just a plain old car battery charger from auto section. Fill a tub with water. Add 1 tablespoon per gallon soda washing powder (also from walmart in the laundry detergent aisle. It comes in a yellow box. It is soda washing powder so be sure and check the label). Put the scrap metal on one side. Relic on the other. Wrap a steel wire around the relic leaving a tail that will stick out of the water. You can get this in a spool near the little rebar pieces in Lowes building supplies dept. attach red lead to the scrap metal. Black lead to the steel wire that's sticks off the relic. Plug in the charger. That's it. You will see little bubbles coming up from the reaction. Leave it for a couple hours or even overnight. The rust will transfer over to the scrap metal.

image-775240128.jpg

I hang my relics from that scrap wood. That's why there are so many wires on it. I just snip them off. The black clamp can go to these wires. If a have a lot of relics I just make sure all the steel wires are touching. Just wind them together. My tub is a little more detailed with the four pieces of rebar and wire joining the four together. You don't have to do this though. Just make sure your scrap metal doesn't touch the relics and is sticking out of the water a little to receive the red clamp. Thats it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Upvote 0
ok, this isn't anything I have done. However I do know electricity and water are dangerous. And for someone unfamiliar with it I would suggest extreme caution. If you try this don't plug the charger in the wall until you hook it up and are clear of it. To be honest I wouldn't try it without someones help who has done it. You could get electrocuted.

Upvote 0
It's a low voltage current for a trickle charge so it's not going to zap you like an outlet would. Still use caution but not really that dangerous.

Upvote 0
Check out you tube on it. They have some great videos to watch with awesome results and instruction.

Upvote 0
VictorVincimus said:
Check out you tube on it. They have some great videos to watch with awesome results and instruction.

I'll do that and thanks for the info :)

Upvote 0
Double d is rite- electro is easy and you WONT get zapped using a regular battery charger.. I run a couple at a time, when removed let it dry then tap item lightly. the remaining scrap will fall off, b careful though to much time will eat it all up. IRON IS COOL:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
Uuhhggggg I hate my soil it's like acid

Actually moisture is the primary culprit for degrading relics. My experience has been that relics dug from dry soil/well draining soil are more often than not in better condition than ones dug from wetlands. Tannic acid from trees is not helpful either. People wonder why the relics dug in SC seem to be in such good shape; that is due to the sandy well draining soil here. When I was stationed in Louisiana the relics I dug there were always in horrible shape due to the "peanut butter" like mud cane fields or the delta silt.

Upvote 0
I think your relic is a hinge pin.

DCMatt

Agree. I have a set of four large Victorian hinges that have finials exactly like that. Hinge plates are highly decorated with flowery designs. If you Google "Restoration Hardware" I'm sure you will locate examples.

Keep digging. The rest of the house is down there somewhere! <lol>

M

Upvote 0
I think im going to post a pretty picture of myself so i will get this many responses on a rusty hinge!! (im a guy though..hmm..prob wont work then, dammit!). J/k holly but keep up the posts! always fun to guess

Upvote 0
Bryanhashemi said:
I think im going to post a pretty picture of myself so i will get this many responses on a rusty hinge!! (im a guy though..hmm..prob wont work then, dammit!). J/k holly but keep up the posts! always fun to guess

I'm sorry I'm not ugly enough for your liking

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back