✅ SOLVED Help To Identify Very Worn Copper Coin

CoinmasterIV

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
All of them! ;-) Been land hunting since 1973 - water since 1986. E-Trac/Whites Spectrum XLT/Tesoro Tiger Shark/Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I sift back through many many years of metal detecting there are always a few items I have found that I never could positively identify. So to shorten the cold winter season a bit.....here is an old and very worn copper coin I found at a mid 1800's farm house while hunting in the late 1980's. It was about 6" deep or so and I remember it coming out of the ground pretty green.

Weight: 9.6 grams (0.34oz)
Diameter: 28.3mm (1.116")
Thickness: 1.9mm (0.074")

There are some features left on the coin but they have always stumped me. I tried to capture a few different angles/lighting scenarios in hopes somebody can see something I can't. Anyways - let me know what you guys think!

front.jpgback2.jpgback1.jpgCoin1.jpgCoin2.jpg

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Last edited:
oh and holes in coins are quite common --often they were holed and wore around the neck on a string to prevent loss or theft - having money bags( worn on the outside of the pants tucked into your belt) might get a theif to think your a "good target" to rob in the woods as you left town ---so often folks had "money belts" to hide the bulk of their cash in and carried "small money" on strings around their necks to pay for everyday small things while travelling .-- I think its a american 1/100th large cent type coin --- see the wreath type shape in the photo ? -- I do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are coins with holes at the top, it was worn around the neck. So, it can be a coin. Look here information about sizes or fotos of coins. coinsandvalues.com

Upvote 0
I can see the stems and "1' in the fraction in the photo you posted above. Well done.

Upvote 0
I'm Gonna Say SOLVED!

I'm not sure if I am allowed to say 'SOLVED' to my own post but my confidence in identifying this coin has gone 10-fold since posting on this forum!

I wish everyone could see this coin in person as there are details I just can't seem to quite capture with my camera. After all your comments and narrowing it down to a US minted large cent.....all of the details I'm finding line up with a Draped Bust Cent which would make this the oldest US coin I have ever found! :icon_thumright:

The weight of coin makes sense to the draped bust cent......the diameter is in line with the draped bust cent.....there are many details on 'the back' of the coin matching features on the draped bust cent (1/100 and the wreath pattern)......on 'the front' in person I can clearly make out a right facing bust. The slope of the forehead and nose location is right in line with the draped bust cent. When I look hard enough I can even see 1-8-?-? for the date. With all that lining up I say this just has to be an early 1800's Draped Bust Cent!!!

What a great response from this forum to help me along to identify a coin that has been kicking around in my "What Is It" box for over 25 years! I remember the excitement digging up this coin just like it was yesterday....and I'm having those same feelings now! Thank You EVERYONE!

Looks like I'm going to have to dig out a few more "What Is It" items to shorten these seemingly long winter months.....8-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I;d say its about as "solved" as your going to get given its condition.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back