✅ SOLVED Help To Identify Very Worn Copper Coin

CoinmasterIV

Jan 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
All of them! ;-) Been land hunting since 1973 - water since 1986. E-Trac/Whites Spectrum XLT/Tesoro Tiger Shark/Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I sift back through many many years of metal detecting there are always a few items I have found that I never could positively identify. So to shorten the cold winter season a bit.....here is an old and very worn copper coin I found at a mid 1800's farm house while hunting in the late 1980's. It was about 6" deep or so and I remember it coming out of the ground pretty green.

Weight: 9.6 grams (0.34oz)
Diameter: 28.3mm (1.116")
Thickness: 1.9mm (0.074")

There are some features left on the coin but they have always stumped me. I tried to capture a few different angles/lighting scenarios in hopes somebody can see something I can't. Anyways - let me know what you guys think!

front.jpgback2.jpgback1.jpgCoin1.jpgCoin2.jpg

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Last edited:
Hi Coinmaster,

below is a link to a great site that I often use to identify badly worn coins by their weight and diameter. I think yours might be a British George 1st halfpenny.

The Coin Database

Hope this helps
Frank

Upvote 0
kinda looks like a flowing hair or draped bust half cent ?

Upvote 0
kinda looks like a flowing hair or draped bust half cent ?

That is what I thought the first time I saw it. But I just can't seem to match up both sides of the coins with the details that I think I'm seeing. I found this medal/coin....it almost looks like a match to me. What do you think? I keep seeing a head on one side facing to the right....and that deep 'eye pocket' sure seems to match to the deep feature for the eye pocket of this coin. On what I call the back I see writing like zeros or sixes near the center....like this medal. Tonight I'll try to put them side by side....

1727 British George 1 Medal

George 1 Medal.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks Frank! It never dawned on me some sites would list size and weight like the one you forwarded! It lead me to that George 1st medal that I posted above.....we might be making some serious progress on this coin/medal I have been unable to identify for so long!....

Upvote 0
still a neat find good luck on your quest hope you can id it

Upvote 0
That is what I thought the first time I saw it. But I just can't seem to match up both sides of the coins with the details that I think I'm seeing. I found this medal/coin....it almost looks like a match to me. What do you think? I keep seeing a head on one side facing to the right....and that deep 'eye pocket' sure seems to match to the deep feature for the eye pocket of this coin. On what I call the back I see writing like zeros or sixes near the center....like this medal. Tonight I'll try to put them side by side....

1727 British George 1 Medal

View attachment 736734

Dang! This medal appears to be too big.....44.0mm in diameter. The Williams half penny is close at 29.0mm in diameter.....11.5 grams is a little heavy.....flowing hair cent is also close in size....but I can't see any of the details in my coin to these......

Last edited:
Upvote 0
looks bust facing left * brit coins reversed faced their coin by reign --left then right then back to left --and so on

Upvote 0
looks bust facing left * brit coins reversed faced their coin by reign --left then right then back to left --and so on

Good call! To me I kept looking at coins with a bust facing right.....but it could just as easily be facing left. I'll keep digging!.....

Upvote 0
Welcome to t-net coinmaster you are in the right area for sure to get help. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Welcome to t-net coinmaster you are in the right area for sure to get help. Good luck.

Thanks Tnmountains! After metal detecting through the past 4 decades it is about time I started taking one of my hobbies to the 'electronic age'.....LOL. Nice 'Banner Find' from 2010! :thumbsup: I'm making a concerted effort this year to find my first point.....

Upvote 0
I don't think it's a coin, maybe a token or a permit tag (explains the hole at the top where it may have been attached to something.) By any chance are you near New York? I zoomed the photo you supplied, adjusted the gamma, and I can see the a seal of New York. One of the arrows points to a supporter on the left where you can see a face; I can make out a windmill in the center; another supporter on the right (think it might not be an Indian, maybe a female form?); and an inscription going around the edge. I didn't see anything but a scrape and a chip on the other side.

Copy of coin 2.jpg

Coin2.jpg

Attachments

• Copy of Coin1.jpg
    Copy of Coin1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 2,335
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for helping Jntramey! I wish you could see this coin in person....because I can see the details you have focused on....and the darn camera doesn't do the details justice. Here is another photo where I'm trying to capture the 'relief features' of the coin/medal. It was found in Michigan.....which is not that far from New York. To me....the most solid feature still there is to the immediate left of the hole. You could almost say the hole is pierced through the left side of a crown? You can also see those repeated features around the perimeter as well that you picked up on. I'm still scratching my head but I love 'fresh eyes' coming to the rescue!....

view1.jpg

Upvote 0
The hardest thing I struggle with is the orientation of the coin and which way to look at it. And NSDQ.....here is potential proof you might have solved this!!! The Drapped Bust cent and Liberty Cap cent are 28.0-29.0mm in diameter.....and weight 10.9 grams which are both right in line with the specifications in my first post (28.3mm & 9.6 grams). Assuming the wear of the coin took off about a gram or so. I have eliminated part of the coin in this comparison so we don't get distracted and I have rotated the image and put the hole on the bottom. My guess is this is the back of the coin. Can anyone see the leaf tips in the upper left.....the 1/100 relief where the hole is drilled and possibly the 'A' from America on the lower right?
comparison.jpg

Upvote 0
DCMatt - I have always considered those 3 circles as features of the coin.....but could never quite place them. I keep thinking this was the back of the coin but with your handy-work.....you can almost see a date (18-7) right where it should be according to your orientation. And yes.....even in person that feature does look just like a star. Everything seems to be pointing towards a US minted large cent....but it is simply amazing how much detail has been erased from this coin! I'll have to now look at the other side of the coin as the 'back'....and see what I can see. The 'winter mystery' continues......

Thanks everyone for your eyeballs! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
Very neat DCMatt - may I ask what program you used to be able to do this comparison?

Paint Shop Pro 5. I typically turn the pic to negative image then mess with brightness and contrast until I get a little more detail.

In this case, once I saw what could be a star I started looking at US large cents. When I noticed the last character of the date (I thought it was a 1), I got the orientation. I then resized a decent pic of an LC and found the (apparently) common marks.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Paint Shop Pro 5. I typically turn the pic to negative image then mess with brightness and contrast until I get a little more detail.

In this case, once I saw what could be a star I started looking at US large cents. When I noticed the last character of the date (I thought it was a 1), I got the orientation. I then resized a decent pic of an LC and found the (apparently) common marks.

DCMatt

Thank you!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back