Nov 17, 2013
central alabama
Detector(s) used
garrett
minelab
terso
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
found this on a early site that produced British and French goods I'm almost certain that button is British The word on right side was Orange as in the House of Orange in London, I'm interested in whose mug is on it . the size is a little larger than a quarter.

Attachments

• button2.JPG
    button2.JPG
    981.9 KB · Views: 154
  • button 1.JPG
    button 1.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 142
Upvote 0
Neat button does it say rich orange colour I think that's how they spelled it. I don't know if its French or British though
Really neat

found this on a early site that produced British and French goods I'm almost certain that button is British The word on right side was Orange as in the House of Orange in London, I'm interested in whose mug is on it . the size is a little larger than a quarter.

Nice Find! ... I am going to guess it is William III of England who is on that button .. dating it around the late 1600's
I'm going to bet it is rare...

Regards
Bob

z1010.JPG

I know of the King William and Mary fame , but the House of Orange is still in London We. found a couple of English Hangers (short swords) that were broken on this site they dated 1690-1710 We felt like they were obsolete surplus the English had traded. I looked through some of my photos could not find the photos of the hangers Most items dated mid 1700's. Less than a mile from this site a friend found a Spanish piece dated to the 1500's A site documented that Desoto and De luna had visited . but you never know who, what or where these items came from . one hole I found buttons and sharks teeth not fossiled could these been in a war club who knows , My imagination runs wild trying to envision that time.

I know of the King William and Mary fame , but the House of Orange is still in London We. found a couple of English Hangers (short swords) that were broken on this site they dated 1690-1710 We felt like they were obsolete surplus the English had traded. I looked through some of my photos could not find the photos of the hangers Most items dated mid 1700's. Less than a mile from this site a friend found a Spanish piece dated to the 1500's A site documented that Desoto and De luna had visited . but you never know who, what or where these items came from . one hole I found buttons and sharks teeth not fossiled could these been in a war club who knows , My imagination runs wild trying to envision that time.

From are point of view ...looking down into the earth.. time lines can seem more like an onion skin...layer upon layer... that is what makes it so provocative as well as enjoyable.

It's cast pewter with a drilled slab shank, so probably dates somewhere in the mid. 1700s and has a patriotic type motto. 'Vivat' is the subjunctive form of the Latin verb 'to live'. Track down the motto and you'll probably have a better idea of the origin. I've seen similer early French buttons.

Last edited:
Very nice find! Wish i knew more about it. Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back