JimmeyC

Oct 15, 2012
N. Tonawanda, Amherst, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug, Garrett Ultra GTA 1000, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I'm new to the site and I was wondering if anyone may be able to help? This is a NY metal detector find. I have been looking everywhere to identify it! Age, Purpose, Token, Value? I have not even been able to fine an image of it on the net. "NYC & HRRR" (flip) "Buffalo Erie St Yard". It is very crude and just shy of a 1/4" thick, appearing to be lead. All I have is "New York Central & Hudson River Rail Road". There was an Erie St station.

Thanks for your time and if nothing else, you may enjoy seeing it.

IMG_4771s.jpg

It is either a bag seal or a door seal, related to the RR you mention. Very Nice find.

Upvote 0
Ahhh, Thank You! Similar to an electric meter seal? A wire running through it and crimped? I found it in a dry creek bed, along with a silver token near by. Unable to read most of the token but it is from buffalo.

Any other info someone may have would be great!

Upvote 0
Ahhh, Thank You! Similar to an electric meter seal? A wire running through it and crimped? I found it in a dry creek bed, along with a silver token near by. Unable to read most of the token but it is from buffalo.

Any other info someone may have would be great!

It probably would have looked something like this:

Attachments

• seal.jpg
    seal.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 161
Upvote 0
I just found almost the same seal in my garden plot, 15 minutes ago, and googled the letters and got your post. The back of mine has BL and 10 on it. The NYC and HRRR ran just behind my house at the North side of my property. I live in Lewiston , really 2 miles East on rt. 104. I am going to post my pics right now on today's finds. What a coincidence!! Lloyd

Just found some dates: In 1869 the New York Central Railroad and the Hudson River Railroad consolidated to form the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad ( our seals ) then in 1914 the NYC&HRRR consolidated with 5 other railroads to form the New York Central Line. Our seals date from 1869 to 1914! Hope that helps, I learned a lot today! Lloyd

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Lloyd. Thats GREAT!!! I found this one in Akron. I'm out in the Clarence area. I'm guessing the value is not great but there is a newer railroad museum in Buffalo and was considering donating it. All in all.. a very cool piece of history!

Upvote 0
Those are WAY COOL finds Guys!!!!! Congratulations!

Great ID Creskol!!!

Upvote 0
Very, very interesting and cool finds, guys!

HH,
Anita

Upvote 0
I'm new to the site. My name is Eric and I just fond 7 of these seals yesterday. I found this site trying to find out what I found. Thanks for the info, but does anyone know a value on them?

Upvote 0
Hi Eric and welcome to Tnet. They definitely have a cool factor but were disposible "locks" of sorts. They may fetch a few bucks on ebay but not worth much. I have found more of them since I posted this.

Good luck &HH, Jim

Upvote 0
Thanks Jim, I went back where I fond them and was looking for more and I found a 1888 v nickel along with some other coins I couldn't make out. The nickel was in ruff shape, but I cleaned it up so you can see everything. Thanks

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back