help me identify this rock with hole in it

Jul 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this rock over the weekend, in central Missouri on The gasconade river. Now I realize that there are thousands of rocks on the river with holes in them, but this one seems too round to be natural to me. I have herd of Indians drilling holes in rocks and wearing them as a necklace, but none of my local arrowhead hunting buddies have found one for me to compare it too. Please help. IMAG0743.jpgIMAG0742.jpg

Not sure about your rock but we get this alot in Northern California. There usually a small hole in the rock and a smaller rock gets in there, the forces of the water push the smaller rock around in the hole making it bigger and bigger until it falls out over a period of several years. It may be from the indians which would be cool! Typically you find the indian grinding stones on larger boulders though

Thx for the help. The hole is perfectly round and there are groves in it that almost look like rifleing, or threads cut into it. Makes sense that a rock could get in there and do this but wouldn't it be a crazy shape in there if a smaller rock did this?

Never know it could be some sort of an artifact, may be something worth researching. On the other hand i have seen some strange things with rocks over many years. Hopefully it is an artifact, there always a good find

Looks like possibly a crinoid impression. So I say it's a fossil. You're location is loaded with crinoids.

I believe what you have is a Indian arrow shaver to slide up and down the arrows to make them smooth and round before the points and fletching is fastened.

BC.JPGBut ask these guys..:laughing7:

Last edited:
There was a piece of crinoid stem in it at one time. Its gone now leaving the impression of it in the hole. These type of rocks are quite common.

I agree with the "trace" fossil of what had been a crinoid stem section. I find similar often hereabouts.

What is it worth? That's up to you. As a fossil . . . not much. Worth a little more than a similar rock without the hole.

Its a natural rock. The hole is to big in relation to the rock to be man made.

Very nice. post a pic & text on " North American Indian Artifact Forum" There are many knowledgeable persons who would
help with the id. Kat

Certainly a crinoid hole.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back