✅ SOLVED Help me identify this badge.

Wideopen

Feb 18, 2015
Shreveport La
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, F70, Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this at old church site last weekend.
I dont know if its catholic related or just something off a saddle or something.
The only other hint is I also found a 1868 indian close by.
Here are best pics...

IMG_20150217_185438837.jpgIMG_20150217_185451286.jpg

I believe what you have is a fancy lead horse decoration with brass fastener six pointed star to a texas hope saddle from the texas calvary if im wrong I apologize but my reference book of texas artifacts shows a similar piece close to this relic you have found.vanzutphen

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The late Howard Crouch had one in his book on page 135. He calls it a rare rosette of lead filled stamped brass. He also states some evidence of possible CS usage by the Texas Rangers.

Upvote 0
Duggap I see what you are saying also I have the crouch book the photos are so close so im sure someone will indentify it but the crouch photo is very likable.vanzutphen

Upvote 0
it is...
Horse harness breast plate, heart shaped martingale, or blanket or saddle adornment, with star, white metal.
M0974B_small.jpg

Upvote 0
The martingale was used to adorn the breast strap on a harness rig. This pattern depicting a star with a border is found in campaigns usually associated with Texas troops and is found adorning harness breast straps, saddle blankets, and saddles. Many variations of it are found, this pattern is crudely manufactured, it was stamped on white metal sheet and trimmed, the cut is irregular, three attachment devices were soldered to the back. Measurements will vary considerably as item is hand cut and often significantly off center, this example measures 50mm x 60mm approx. Dug plate, remains of three attachment hooks are visible. Recovered: Tunnel Hill, Georgia and believed to have been associated with Terry's Texas Rangers, although more research will be required to confirm that.

Upvote 0
Wow!:headbang:
I have never found anything like that before!
That is way cool. Finally, a good site to hunt.

Does that mean it dates to civil war in 1860's?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back