Help me Identify this Ancient Coin

arthur94r

Feb 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received the coin about 15 years ago from my father. Looking to get more information on it maybe a rough date? I'd appreciate any help. It appears as though there are a few images depicted on the coin that I can visually make out: I notice many "P" letters and what appears to be a lion? and a fort? or castle? :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• 20150219_185605.jpg
    20150219_185605.jpg
    931.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 20150219_185821.jpg
    20150219_185821.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 100
Can you look inside the bezel "shank" / "hoop"... see if marked.

Upvote 0
Looks like an Atocha coin? Spanish? I'm not positive....That's what it reminds me of..

Upvote 0
I'm very familiar with gold and this has no indication of a marking. Im 100% sure its real gold just not sure of the karat. Makes me think It was handmade.

Upvote 0
All coins bezels for Spanish cobbs/reals are handmade...
Due to the irregularity of the shaps and sizes.
Weights of coins are the only thing that is relatively consistent.

The marks I am looking for are NOT karat /gold marks.

Upvote 0
Understood, Indeed this is an Atocha coin. Roughly 400 years old.

Upvote 0
The coin depicted... is not a legible coin to me.
But it is a shield type... second Spanish colonial silver coin in America.
They were made in Mexico, Santo Domingo, Lima, La Plata, Potosi, Panama, Cartagena, and Bogotá mints in the time period of 1572 to 1734.
First ones were in 1607 ... the Mexico mint.
Hand struck.
The crowned shield shows land under Spanish control at the time of this coin... other side displays cross with lions and castles AKA: the four quadrants...
MAybe another person here that is a coin guy will verify this.

Upvote 0
It looks like a King Phillip II cob. Probably from a wreck. I don't see the M or MO that would make it a Mexican mint. Real nice piece. Tony

Upvote 0
If it is from the Atocha, its in exceptional condition. A grade 1 all the way. The Mel Fisher Museum in Key West would have a record and a photo of it in their database. Get it authenticated if you plan to sell it. It will be worth a pretty penny. They will make you an offer for it as well. Nice coin, your dad did good.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back