Detector(s) used
Fisher ID Excel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• unknown coin_resized.jpg
    unknown coin_resized.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 184
I looked at the link & thought this was close, just cant see enough detail on yours
so probably not yours

I. Struck Imitation Halfpence​

more here , maybe you can find it

Upvote 0
Appreciate the info so far. Still looking for an exact match.

Upvote 0
I would look into other European coins, possibly Prussian as well. There is enough detail that it should be able to be identified.

Upvote 0
Similar to a "Poland 3 grosze 1766-1794" but slight differences, I think.

poland-3-grosze-1774.jpg

Upvote 0
Similar to a "Poland 3 grosze 1766-1794" but slight differences, I think.

poland-3-grosze-1774.jpg
That is close, you may be on the right track. May be a different year or ruler. It's going to be European for sure!

Upvote 0
You can't exclude any British coins from your possible IDs.

Upvote 0
You're on the right track. It's either a Woods Hibernia Farthing (21.4mm) or Rosa American Halfpenny. (22mm) You can see the faint lettering on your coin that matches up... Gratia Rex. There's different varieties and with the wear, subtle differences wouldn't be a surprise. Obviously comparing to a Woods Hibernia Halfpenny which is much bigger you're definitely going to see a difference. The Farthings are much less common to dig.

Upvote 0
I have to respectfully disagree on the Rosa Americana or Hibernia coins. I collect both series and this is not one. I have spent hundreds of hours pouring over these coins to ID the die varieties. On all the Woods coins, the bust has a concave curve at the bottom, this coin has a convex curve. The hair shape is different as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting, but at least I'm not proved wrong until someone can ID it! :) I guess if I can do it that should be good for a break even right?

Upvote 1
Still looking for an ID! I appreciate the info so far but I don't think we've solved it.

Upvote 0
Its diameter is 14.51 mm in it's current, worn condition, if that helps.

Upvote 0
Don..

PS: Ooops, I ID-ed the wrong coin.
PPS: Merry Christmas to y'all.

Upvote 0
Don..

The one liard was 21mm, whereas the coin in question is 14.5mm.

I don't know what it is but have been looking for match among the many variants of Polish/Lituanian copper 'shillings' (popularly called the 'Boratynka') from the 1600s. Typically 15mm diameter.

Upvote 0
From a local coin dealer who was shown the coin. The weight is 5.7g.

It's a weight for a gold Pistole of Louis XIV, possibly modified for use as a weight for a Portuguese gold Half Moidore. Weights of this period were privately produced so minor variations in portraiture/legend/etc are to be expected. If the weight is 5.xx it's going to be quite close to the later, and would also explain the blank reverse.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back