Help Identifying this beaded bag

A

Atlantis0077

Greetings,

Need a little help from someone that knows old beadwork....My expertise such as it is ....is rooted in relics, not craftwork.
I came across this small drawstring pouch at a sale a couple of years back. The beadwork on is of tiny seed beads that appear slightly faced. The leather is very thin and quite fragile now and has a few torn places at the very top. It appear to me to be quite old and I was wondering if any one could tell tribe or general location where it might have come from.

Thanks,

Atlantis

Attachments

• Beadwork 001.jpg
    Beadwork 001.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 264
  • Beadwork 002.jpg
    Beadwork 002.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 270
Upvote 0
That's a tough one... I don't know a lot about this, only a tiny bit but here I go flapp'n my gums anyway.... It would appear to me that there's maybe two design elements here. First the large central piece is (?) a "four winds" motif.. unfortunately it's a relatively common element. The smaller designs around it I think could be looked at as just smaller versions or possibly stylized flowers. If the first is true it wouldn't help in identification, if the second is true (flower motif) it may indicate a northern tribe origin (Ojibwa, Winnebago, Fox, Sauk, etc.) The colors on the edge (red white and blue) seem to indicate a later date of manufacture... maybe turn of the century vs. mid 1800's. All of this is just a guess of course!

Hi Cannoman, :D

I will have some pictures of some rocks for you to look at,I was wondering if they could be of some Indian tools.Also I have a picture on one of the recent ones we where talking on and was wondering if the middle rock was that of a scraper?I did not find anything else in the field like it,so that is why I was wondering if by chance it could be.This year I only went out twice metal detecting, I will be again as soon.
Nice talking with you.By the way I am married! ;D But someday maybe we will bump into each other while doing our hunting and as professional and armature you can give me some Indian tool hunting tips.Do you know if there is any kind of group in WI for hunting and collecting Indian tools?I know very well of the Central WI "Mid State metal detecting club" in Steven's Point and have been to there M.D. competitions,this year I could not go, but next year I will be there.Did you know that Wausau, WI is putting up a new Indian Museum? I hope they add a lot of Indian artifacts and historical information as to where these indains made their homes.Anyway!It's been interesting! You seem like a neat person and do know a lot more then me ,I am though on the trail and have a lot of enthusiasm to this whole subject. Pss... I won't give up the for my # 1 challenge the hunt for the meteorite!

Yeah, I would like to see what you found for sure- I've never been to the mid state competition but I get the flyer every year.. I think about going every year just never do. I don't know of any groups in wisconsin for artifact collectores, there's professional groups like CWAC and what not but I've always had a conflict of interest with them- it's almost impossible to be a "professional" and a collector- they frown on it, one of the reasons I'm not still in the field today, I was always a collector and couldn't give it up because somebody else thought it wasn't right. Also why I don't consider myself a professional, just a really involved amateur. Maybe we should start an artifact club ourselves? Just an idea. Oh yeah, I'm married too... wife let me go out md this morning and I found two silver and five wheaties (YES!). I want to go hit a field for artifacts but I think I'll wait til harvest time now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back