help identify this necklace i found??

badassbriotch

Greenie
Jun 30, 2019
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this necklace that appears to be extremely rtarnished and its pendant has these odd markings stamped into each side.. any idea what it might be?
it doesnt stick to a magnet, and the markings are completely off centered and on both sides?
also any idea how to go about properly cleaning it so i can attempt to see if its ac tually worth anything?

Attachments

• 20190626_190039_001.jpg
    20190626_190039_001.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
  • 20190626_190018.jpg
    20190626_190018.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
  • 20190626_185942.jpg
    20190626_185942.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 84
  • 20190626_185956.jpg
    20190626_185956.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
It’s a cob / piece of 8, isn’t it?

Upvote 0
Welcome to Tnet Bree,

Hydrogen peroxide and a tooth brush for starters. I wouldn't rule out gold just yet. Does it have a smell?
Often you can detect brass by rubbing between your fingers and then smelling them. Kind of a sour smell. In looking at
photo #2 I see some things that are interesting. The eyelet looks heirloom but might not be marked because of it's age. It
looks like the eyelet has been soldered shut? A separate piece of wire has been soldered to the piece in order to use the eyelet.
Since the piece already had a hole in it most jewelers would have sawed through the back of the eyelet and re-soldered it after
threading it through the existing hole. the chain looks modern and if non magnetic or brass it should be marked. The eyelet
is for a much larger chain. It looks like it was struck with an old coin stamp, maybe Spanish. Can you state an accurate gram
weight of just the pendant? Can you please tell us more about the circumstances of the find? Sometimes early coins were
chunks of metal pounded flat and adjusted for weight then stamped with a official stamp that verified them as real money.

Best wishes!

Upvote 0
Has the looks of a Spanish cob my coin dealer has from 1715 fleet. I would have someone check it out.

Upvote 0
the top end looks wrong IMO - looks poured have it weighed less the chain
don't get the reason for 2 holes
have it tested for silver
I wouldn't clean it
BRADY

Upvote 0
It's a Spanish coin... appearing to be a "cob"... does not look legit... but I have not seen this variation... IF it is a copy before this.

I will give it an "interesting" / "different" for sure.

Upvote 0
Reanm8er... we can safely say its not gold... no chance.

Upvote 0
without the chain it's 6.1g and i gained possession of the necklace in a jar filled with jewelry pieces i purchased from the thrift store near me and inside were a few other interesting looking items like pins stamped with 10k and some 925 pieces.. and an old vintage Christian Dior earring (no mate :( ).

Upvote 0
without the chain it's 6.1g and i gained possession of the necklace in a jar filled with jewelry pieces i purchased from the thrift store near me and inside were a few other interesting looking items like pins stamped with 10k and some 925 pieces.. and an old vintage Christian Dior earring (no mate )

Upvote 0
My interpretation of the two holes is that someone wanted to use a larger chain with it. Whoever did it probably
cut the bale from another piece. If they had used it in the original hole there wouldn't be much room for a larger
chain so they added the wire at the top thus giving it a "poured look". Also if the loop was cut from another piece
it was likely to have been already soldered shut. Perhaps they weren't equipped well enough to cut and re-weld the
thin metal of the bale so they added the wire instead?

Upvote 0
It would still be a cool piece if someone would cut the mess off the top and add the right size bale in
the original hole.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back