Help Identify my CANNON from St Croix USVI West Indies

loosecannon

Nov 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone out there help me identify my old cast iron ship cannon. I purchased it from an estate. They had it at their St Croix home for decades. They said it was originally found in the Christiansted Harbor. While cleaning the cannon the only marking I could make out was P1767 which I believe stands for " PROOFED and the date 1767 " I would love to know any other information about it, what country it came from, the foundry or even what ship it may have been from. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's about 6 ft long and around 800 lbs

old.jpgold2.jpgpainted.jpgpainted2.jpgpainted3.jpg

Last edited:
Here is an old pic of a mystery cannon that has remained unidentified forever...
Only has this on it...

Photo78267o.jpg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
A belated 'Welcome to Treasure Net !
It may not have come off a ship, but rather from a coastal battery.
As you may already know,the five 18-pounder cannons on exhibit at Fort Christiansvaern were cast at the Danish gun foundry in Laurvig, Norway, in the 18th century. These cannon types were used on warships and fortresses. Three of them date from 1784 and two from 1786 and they were taken to St. Croix in 1790.
Regarding your gun,you may wish to check with the fort or consult the local historian--through the local library.

Don....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back