🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Help Identify led object

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• IMG_4308.jpeg
    IMG_4308.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4309.jpeg
    IMG_4309.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4310.jpeg
    IMG_4310.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
I finally had time to make a trip to the Battle Sight Museum in NY, one of the only reason going here because my brother knows the archaeologist. I showed him this piece and told him how I dug it with a metal detector, getting lots of questions of where it was private land. This land borders the Hudson River ,
My guess even telling the guy from the museum the piece was a weight for a duck decoy, I am still think its colonial of the color of the led depth of the object. it was found feet from a lake, from some research and there was same exact one found posted a while ago. Well he called me today asking me how i knew that I was correct in my guess he was very surprised to say the least. I got a welcome back if I find anything else I would like to have identified.
thanks for looking
Michael

Upvote 1
Wooden duck decoys have been used for a very long time. I'm not sure whether they were used as far back as colonial times, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Upvote 1
Reminds me of an ox knob but looks like someone put holes in it for some reason, maybe it kept falling off so they nailed that sucker? Never heard of a lead ox knob as well so probably not.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back