Keith123

Jul 7, 2013
Southeasern , CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (11in Coil), White's Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found two bullets near well known battle field in Eastern NC. The larger of the two is a fired three ringer. The exact cal of the three ringer is unknown, but I included the measurements if the widest and narrowest parts in the photos. The smaller I'm completely unsure about but it looks a little more modern to me. If weight is needed, I won't have access to a scale until this afternoon - just let me know. Any info on these bullets would be greatly appreciated!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437580834.017789.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437580847.069971.jpg

OKAY BULLET EXPERTS WE NEED A LITTLE HELP HERE. COOL .

Upvote 0
Without actually handling the 3 ringer, .60 cal was a popular size for a Union Minie ball. I would say it looks like a drop rather than fired.

Upvote 0
Bullet #1 is most likely .58 cal. Not sure about bullet #2 Maybe from a carbine?

Upvote 0
Without actually handling the 3 ringer, .60 cal was a popular size for a Union Minie ball. I would say it looks like a drop rather than fired.

Here are a couple more photos that show why I say it looks fired.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437587179.185161.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437587197.800441.jpg

Upvote 0
The bullet is definitely fired. Looks to be a .58 cal Minie ball. How about some close ups of the second bullet.

Upvote 0
I can't find your smaller bullet in my book. I kind of think it may be post civil war. It sort of looks like there may be crimp marks in the first grove. If that is so then it is definitely post war.

Upvote 0
.38 caliber mikes .357, I've loaded hollow based .38 wad cutters, my swag is post war .38.

Upvote 0
I agree the smaller is a relatively modern .38 cal (0.358") with channelure crimp groove for the cartridge case

Upvote 0
The crimp groove puts it post war, but what about the patina? Can that help with dating? For example, would a dug bullet from the early 1900s have patina?

Upvote 0
The crimp groove puts it post war, but what about the patina? Can that help with dating? For example, would a dug bullet from the early 1900s have patina?

There are just too many factors involved to use the oxidation of the lead as an indicator of age. But granted it does take some time to get white, and in the right ground conditions a 1900 bullet could very easily turn white.

Upvote 0

I cast lead balls for my muzzleloaders. I also use my detector behind my backstop to recycle my fired lead. I pull five to ten year old balls (and lead shotgun slugs) that I have fired that are entirely white with the lead oxide patina. I know they are that age because that's how long ago I erected the back-stops here.

Upvote 0
I cast lead balls for my muzzleloaders. I also use my detector behind my backstop to recycle my fired lead. I pull five to ten year old balls (and lead shotgun slugs) that I have fired that are entirely white with the lead oxide patina. I know they are that age because that's how long ago I erected the back-stops here.

That is good to know!

Upvote 0

That's good to know, Charlie. I knew it could happen sooner than the civil war but I didn't know they might oxidize that fast.

Upvote 0
Some weeks back I 'goggled', 'civil war bullet chart' and darned if I didn't get one! Many bullets illustrated of all or at least most known bullets used during the Civil War.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back