Help ID Buckle-Double Headed Eagle?

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I am moving this over from another thread to where it belongs if you've seen it before. I found this buckle near the site of a WWII POW camp here in Oklahoma. There are no identifying marks of any kind on it. It is composed of a soft, non-magnetic alloy and has some kind of silver plating on it. It is similar in size to the brass military web belt buckles or boy scout/cub scout web belt buckles. It was suggested in the previous thread it may have a Masonic origin. One friend suggested Prussian origin because of the design...I have been unable to find any reference. Anyone have confirmation on this or another ID and possible age?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSCF2015.JPG
    DSCF2015.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 124
  • DSCF2006.JPG
    DSCF2006.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 142
The double headed eagle is the symbol of the Masons Scottish Rite and it does look like that. It usually has a number on it's chest but not always. With the light glaring on it's chest in the photo I can't see anything there but that would be my guess.
Here are some images of Scottish Rite double headed eagle:

https://www.google.com/search?q=scottish+rite+buckle&client=firefox-a&hs=6PG&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cy97Uf_PNpCyigL41IBY&ved=0CF8QsAQ&biw=1333&bih=908

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks. Sorry about the pic quality, my good 35mm SLR is on the fritz due to battery. I had to use a point and shoot camera and lack of flash control drove me nuts.

Upvote 0
Also, it doesn't have the 32nd or 33rd degree emblem in the center, but it sure does resemble the Masonic Eagle. I am a Mason and it didn't even cross my mind that's what it might be.

Upvote 0
Your welcome. The pics good just has a glare in a bad spot. I'm no expert on the Masons but I just finished researching a misidentified Masonic Knights Templar piece so I recognize the eagle. On the other hand I could be totally wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back