SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this button at a site that dates back to the 1760s. It looks like a 2 piece with the front being brass and the back being iron or something along those lines. Any body have a guess as to its age?
Thanks-
SCDigginWithAK

image-487465464.jpg

image-2704140423.jpg

image-1958354987.jpg

image-80123185.jpg

image-737055069.jpg

Sorry to have to tell you that although your button was found at 1760s site, it is definitely a 20th Century button. The important ID clue for time-dating your button is the version of shank/thread loop. Your photo shows it is too wide-bodied to be a "wire" shank/loop. Your button has what button-collectors call a "self-shank" back... which means, part of the 2-piece button's back itself forms the shank/loop. Your 2-piece (brass front, iron back) button has the type of self-shank back shown in the photo below. Notice that the shank/loop is wide sheetmetal, not a wire. That type did not exist until the 20th Century.

Attachments

• button_self-shank-back_modern_sportcoat_117kb_Ebay.jpg
    button_self-shank-back_modern_sportcoat_117kb_Ebay.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 65
  • button_self-shank-back_modern_steelback_TN_photobySCDigginWithAKt.jpg
    button_self-shank-back_modern_steelback_TN_photobySCDigginWithAKt.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry to have to tell you that although your button was found at 1760s site, it is definitely a 20th Century button. The important ID clue for time-dating your button is the version of shank/thread loop. Your photo shows it is too wide-bodied to be a "wire" shank/loop. Your button has what button-collectors call a "self-shank" back... which means, part of the 2-piece button's back itself forms the shank/loop. Your 2-piece (brass front, iron back) button has the type of self-shank back shown in the photo below. Notice that the shank/loop is wide sheetmetal, not a wire. That type did not exist until the 20th Century.

Thank you. I knew it was definitely 1900s but I was hoping for a decade but I understand that is very hard to say. Thanks CBG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back