Help, Buttons but what type? Rivet CW era?

K

KirkTN

I found these two buttons yesterday at the same site where I found a CW Navy Button and a Union Eagle "A" shield type artillery button. The one flat button looks like it has wagon wheel halves all around it. Trouser button maybe? The outher has been smashed a bit and has such a thick chocolate patina that details are hard to make out. Just a touch of water added to bring out some detail. Brother John and I both think it's an Eagle muddled beneath the bends and patina. What do you think? Being that it's been smashed a bit, the original diameter is questionable, at present It measures just over 17mm. Cuff button maybe? Also found a very old Rivet, CW era?

Thanks in advance for any Help ID'ing

KirkTN

Attachments

• buttonfronts02-01-08.jpg
    buttonfronts02-01-08.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 218
  • 02-01-08buttonbacks.jpg
    02-01-08buttonbacks.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 217
  • buttonsandcivilwarrivet.jpg
    buttonsandcivilwarrivet.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 206
Rivet could be almost any age, they bearly changed in 200 years. Its to hold two bits of leather together on horse tack

Upvote 0
Just thought I would add, those 4 holed butons (trouser,shirt & underwear cica 1920s) as I call them are the most frustrating UK find. Sometimes we can find as many as 20 in a day & I have hardly ever had a trip without 1 or 2. Problem is they are the same size as a standard Roman coin & they sound like them too :P

Upvote 0
Thanks CRUSADER, by the way that was pretty wild finding the seal in the lead scraps.

Treasure The Hunt

KirkTN

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back