Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wanted to introduce myself, have had the detector on the shelf a few years now. I'm ready to get back to it again I would of sooner, but lost a couple years due to moving, helping parents build to move, not to mention some health problems they went through recently also. On the bright side, I've dug out all my detecting equipment from the shelves, got the coil changed on the coin detector, batteries in and all the modes set up. All that is needed is some warmer weather to help the ground to thaw.

This is a photo of me from December 2006. I don't have much very recent photos, but I'm sure this year will be getting some more. :)

Attachments

• frntr2sml.jpg
    frntr2sml.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 847
Red_desert said:
I just wanted to introduce myself, have had the detector on the shelf a few years now. I'm ready to get back to it again I would of sooner, but lost a couple years due to moving, helping parents build to move, not to mention some health problems they went through recently also. On the bright side, I've dug out all my detecting equipment from the shelves, got the coil changed on the coin detector, batteries in and all the modes set up. All that is needed is some warmer weather to help the ground to thaw.

This is a photo of me from December 2006. I don't have much very recent photos, but I'm sure this year will be getting some more. :)

Welcome to T-Net Bro. I hunt with the GoldBug2 too, looking forward to seeing your finds. I like that double barrel, sweet.

Good Luck

Yes, that Gold Bug-2 is a nice machine. The last real detecting vacation I had was for the whole month of November in Quartzite, Arizona area. It took most of the time to really learn the tuning tricks. Someone who prospects for a living drew a couple maps for nugget hunting around Yuma. I mentioned down there about the black sand pockets kept finding with my Gold Bug-2 and Gemini-3 (at Quartzite). One guy told his friend that owns a Gold Bug also, his friend followed up on the tip at Quartzite getting 3 ounces in 2 days. But he had a dry wash rig which I'd then wished was something would have considered buying for the trip. I found several of what looked like ragged dirty lead at Quartzite. Later a local shop said they could be nuggets. By this time, must have accidently thrown them out with trash. Being from the Midwest had no idea nuggets could be dirty. They use water/vinegar adding salt to shake up a while, is supposed to get off the dirt. I tried scratching the edge of 2, the Sun is so bright, hard to see if any yellow color.

Yuma, the ground was so mineralized, wasn't until about time to return home, actually got the balance right.???

Oh, that gun is a toy, a relic from my childhood. Is a cap and ball musket. The balls were cork and just a cap made them shoot out. Thanks for the welcome!

Hi, Red....Welcome to Mugs & Tnet. If all goes as planned Mr. Pepper and I are going nugget hunting and panning this Spring. It will be a first for us.

That sounds nice, I'll need to go again. If the prospecting trip is to the desert, there is a lot to learn on a first time nugget shoot. It seems like everything is learned about the time you start packing up for home.

Hey Red,

Great to see ya! Won't be long the ground will be thawing out and you will be out detecting real soon. Just keep us informed what you find. Good Luck & Happy Hunting!

;) RR

welcome_cat.gif

Attachments

• welcome_cat.gif
    welcome_cat.gif
    38.3 KB · Views: 747
Welcome aboard! TNET is full of great people with a wide range of experience. Will be looking for your posts and finds. Don't forget to check out the Charter Membership....a great tool to do searches, etc...and to support TNET.
HH (Happy Hunting),
---Mel

borninok

Don't let Mel fool ya RD....he is just trying to get more food at the Charter Members potluck! lol So glad you joined us here and yes, the charter members option is a great one! Welcome aboard and enjoy the forum while the ground thaws...that is what the rest of us are doing! :P

Thanks everyone for the welcome! I did manage to get the Gold Bug-2 out today. Decided that since the ground is still frozen, might check out the rocks in this pile. The property we moved to was part of a cornfield, back edge borders a cornfield. A huge rock pile is on the left corner and was there previously, a place the farmer tossed stones. I climbed on top to reach with the detector. No meteorites, at least on the surface. 8)

Red_desert said:

welcome to the forum and I can say one thing dress looking as sharp as you do I bet you wont have any problems getting permission to hunt anywhere have a great year of hunting Goldman AKA John

Actually, most of the time just go casual, sure wouldn't go detecting like that...bought a new camera for myself at Christmas time. Was bored so, set up a background over a wall, camera on tripod testing out the new digital SLR. Oh boy, dug out all the old dress up clothes, got all kinds of different photos of myself. Have added a 10x macro lens, mounts on the filter or main lens. With my 28-200 mm zoom lens, macro 10x, in the set shutter mode (called TV mode on this camera) a coin close up at 1/60 second in normal sunlight/ASA 1600 gives f32 or f36. It really helps in extreme close ups for getting really sharp images.

I'll post another one of the Christmas time self-portraits here.

Attachments

• nvybl2.jpg
    nvybl2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 677
Cynangyl said:
I do believe you have got that camera figured out pretty good! :D

Yeah, keep working on it...one thing didn't mention on the macro photography for coins, set the lens at infinity always. That will give sharpest close ups, it still makes the lens to coin distance only about 7 inches. I get close first, then move away until in focus. Otherwise you might move the lens into something that isn't flat sometime (like a relic).

Ouch! You have a point there! :D Thanks for the tips on the camera. I love mine and am getting better with it but can always take pointers from others that have some experience with different settings too!

Welcome, I hope you find a new found love for MDing. It'll sure help ya get things off your mind and it sounds like you could use it. Happy Hunting

"Hi Red!
Good to see you!"
Thanks Trish

"Red great mugs Smiley You remind me of an actor who would play in westerns >>>> The handsome bad guy of course Wink"

CD, believe it or not...I have a profile still at OMP (OneModelPlace) it reverted back to free membership now which only allows a few port photos. I'm really too old for that stuff now and should get rid of it. Back in 1987 after getting 2 diplomas at Charmaine Agency in Ft Wayne Indiana, went to the Actors Convention at Universal Studios. It was a talent event plus guest speakers who were actors. In a couple years got my hopes up and tried moving out there. Boy, I'd never try that again. I did get in some acting lessons though.

http://www.onemodelplace.com/member.cfm?ID=236293

Welcome to mug shots :)

Them are some great mugs there... yer a tough looking hombre'.

You've been putting down some great posts... keep it up! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back