Hello From Venice, Florida

Jul 23, 2012
Venice, Florida
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wanted to introduce myself and seek some wisdom from the group...

I'm a 62 year old retired man looking to add to my list of hobbies. Seems like a bit of walking, stooping and digging might also help the fitness routine.

Just came back from a week in the Thousand Islands and my son got me seriously considering metal detecting. I think I'd modify his approach a bit though. It seemed like a whole lot of tough digging for a wheat penny (or a pull tab). I'm close to several beaches and I think I'd concentrate on surf detecting for coins and jewelry. Probably spend a bit of time practicing on the dry sand first. Digging will be a whole lot easier than that rocky soil on Wellesley Island!

Any suggestions for a surf detector? The White Surf PI Dual Field Metal Detector seems like a nice unit. One con (and a plus) seems to be it picks up everything but I think I'd dig everything- at least to start.

Is anyone aware of any clubs in the Venice, Sarasota area?

TIA and best of luck with your search!

4342564 (2).jpg

Welcome to this crazy habit from Sarasota, yes there is a club I have never been but ask west coast les

Ah, yes! Spent MANY days on the Venice beaches... and Sharky's. Lived in Bradenton for a few years. I have found many hundreds of little shark teeth down there. Found one tooth... in the sand fill for a construction site. It was PERFECT, right down to the little scalloped edge that shark teeth usually have. Have fun and welcome to the Net! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back