JSpinner

Feb 16, 2013
Northwest - Idaho
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: Hello from Idaho.
I stumbled on this site while searching for information on how to start detecting. Planning to take the grand kids out to cure 'cabin fever.' They're out from school on President's Day, so thought it would be fun to spend some time outdoors. The deal is we split our findings, so to give them an incentive to give this new project a starting chance. (They're pre-teens and can't seem to get away from their games and phones.) However, they're pretty excited to try this out. :newbie:
I welcome tips for starters and could use a lot of luck.

I don't see any Northwestern's here. I doubt if we're the 1st ones. If you're from the Northwest, please pay me a visit so we can chat about good locations to detect. :occasion14: Wish me luck, I'm going to need it.... JS
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

JSpinner, Welcome and for starters do not do what your avatar is doing though I like it a lot! Also, I enjoy your tag line from Edison and it is the classic "do not look at failure as failure but as an answer of what to do next".

I will jump at an assumption here that you are coinshooting/treasure hunting versus prospecting. I would suggest that you take along some good munchies that they like, tell them stories of your childhood especially all the whacky things that almost got you killed and to not get to serious about finding much. But if you must share the finds with them then go where it has been lost. Fairgrounds, drive in movie theaters, in front of where food stands were at on a grassy area, the part of town with the biggest trees/search under the trees, if you have an older home with a large yard then try there as people just loose money and other 'stuff' everywhere. You need to be finding nickels so toss one on the ground and see what your machine says it is. Why nickels well, gold jewelry to a detector is just like hitting a nickel and also use your wedding band as a target just do not loose it! If you all do not find much then don't expect them to hang in there for very long or, do not make this a torture test(from their point of view).

I was in Coeur d'Alene in 2004, bought a 1 oz silver coin from a dealer downtown, still have it. I had an enjoyable time in town and out on the highway in all the Green country side! Hope you have an enjoyable time with the 'g' kids, keeping them entertained is sometimes easy with good stories, been there done that..................63bkpkr

Last edited:
Welcome, sounds like a fun adventure!

Wayne

I just moved from CDA and now living in Moscow (when I'm not working in North Dakota). I bought a X-TERRA 705 last year and loving the new hobby. I even found some silver dimes! Good luck with the family, I'm sure they will enjoy it..... as long as you let them take pictures of your finds with their phones and post it on Facebook. :)

746178d1361389651t-hello-wild-west-lmkwelcfshx_e01.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back