BugHunter

Nov 7, 2012
So Cal, E of LA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everybody,
I am a newbie gold hunter from Corona, California. Have been lurking on this forum for some time and got very much impressed by the knowledgeable guys who post here. Learning a lot from you guys, many thanks.
As my nickname suggest I also collect bugs (beetles, specifically) and it was during one of my bug hunts last spring when I got the gold fever. No, not that I came across a gold bug and it gave me a bite (although I did collect a few 'jewel scarabs' - real gold bugs), but I tried panning for the first time. It was in Costa Rica in a well known gold producing area, named Osa. The locals there still do some small scale prospecting but the tourist business seems to be more lucrative. So, with a local guide we went to a river, found some bed rock and started digging. And miraculously, a few specks appeared on the bottom of my pan (and of course there were many more that I lost). But that was it - I got hooked. This summer I went to American River (Auburn Rec Area) and N. Yuba river. After a lot of effort I did get some yellow stuff by moving boulders, digging and panning. Still have a lot to learn, though. The larger piece shown is just under quarter inch in size.
So now I am a member of GPAA and WEPC. I couple of weeks ago I got a GoldBug Pro (of course, it must be a Bug) - still learning the ropes and digging a lot of trash. But among the trash there is more and more of smaller pieces, so maybe one day one of them will glitter yellow.

Attachments

• Two pieces from North Yuba .jpg
    Two pieces from North Yuba .jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 241
  • North Yuba collection 2.jpg
    North Yuba collection 2.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 233

CladiatorMax

Nov 1, 2012
Garden Grove, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Sovereign GT / Garrett Carrot / Stavr Scoops
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome Bug Hunter! Great to see other So Cal folks here.

OP
OP
BugHunter

BugHunter

Nov 7, 2012
So Cal, E of LA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Max, thanks and welcome to you too! Maybe one day we will meet each other in the desert or the mountains. Have you joined any club?

CladiatorMax

Nov 1, 2012
Garden Grove, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
BugHunter said:
Hello Max, thanks and welcome to you too! Maybe one day we will meet each other in the desert or the mountains. Have you joined any club?

Just joined GPAA, looking into a few down here in the OC. Any good word on the clubs down her that you've heard? Great hearing from you.

OP
OP
BugHunter

BugHunter

Nov 7, 2012
So Cal, E of LA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I became a member of WEPC and met many nice people there. Meetings are held in Norco which is very close from where I live. I am planning to join a few more clubs to get access to more hunting ground. Not all claims around here in So Cal are equally productive for nugget hunting. So, one needs to invest a lot of time checking them out to see where you can find something (basically those that were less pounded by many detectorists before you). Of course, really experienced guys with a Minelab5000 can probably find something almost anywhere but I am not in that league, not yet.
Happy Thanksgiving for everyone!

DeputyProspector

Nov 19, 2012
Orange County, Southern Californi
Detector(s) used
As of now, a cheap 50 dollar detector from harbor freight tools. Hopefuls getting a garret 150 for Christmas though!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey there! Good to see others from Southern California. Looks like you have some good color there! Hope to see you around the forum with some nice chunks of yellow stuff.

DeputyProspector

Nov 19, 2012
Orange County, Southern Californi
Detector(s) used
As of now, a cheap 50 dollar detector from harbor freight tools. Hopefuls getting a garret 150 for Christmas though!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
By the way Max and bughunter, I'm planning on joining GPAA this week, and then maybe heading out to red chispa or San Gabriel. I just got back from calico and finished goin through my buckets, got a few decent flakes and a nice picker. There's a claim out there for PCSC members that's supposedly pretty good. Maybe we can get together some time? I'm trying to find some local guys to hunt with, as my girlfriend is never interested, and going alone is just plain not as fun haha

OP
OP
BugHunter

BugHunter

Nov 7, 2012
So Cal, E of LA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello DeputyProspector, welcome! I was in the El Paso/ Benson area a few days ago trying to MD the GPAA claim. I passed Red Chispa on the way up the ridge - yes this place does stand out. I want to try it, I guess I need to join PCSC for that. Do you detect or only dry wash?

CladiatorMax

Nov 1, 2012
Garden Grove, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
DeputyProspector said:
By the way Max and bughunter, I'm planning on joining GPAA this week, and then maybe heading out to red chispa or San Gabriel. I just got back from calico and finished goin through my buckets, got a few decent flakes and a nice picker. There's a claim out there for PCSC members that's supposedly pretty good. Maybe we can get together some time? I'm trying to find some local guys to hunt with, as my girlfriend is never interested, and going alone is just plain not as fun haha

Sounds good, I will be out of the state for the next few weeks on business but will stay in contact. Bughunter mentioned WEPC which is a club recommended by Rusty (Rusty's Gold and Treasure Hunting Supply) who is also a member and someone who I have enjoyed doing business with (some great stories and has a well equipped store). I think I'll give WEPC a shot, I've heard there dues are a bit higher but is a solid club and have some good claims as well. Take care guys, chat soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread