Heavy Colonial-Era Pewter Lid--Any Ideas??

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this at approx 12" - 14" in South Jersey while hunting with NJLargeCent and GrantHansen. It was in a large field across the street from a church. This was one of the very few old relics that was found in this field. Any ideas on what it might have been used for?

It weighs 1-1/2 to 2 lb. and is 3-1/2" long (incl. hinge), 1-1/2" tall, and 3" wide. Features a 12-petal floral design on top.

N.B. that the third photo depicts the item from the bottom.

Thanks for any insight!

Attachments

• Lid1.jpg
    Lid1.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Lid2.jpg
    Lid2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Lid3.jpg
    Lid3.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Lid4.jpg
    Lid4.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Lid5.jpg
    Lid5.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Well, except for the weight of the item my first thought was a beer stein lid...similar to this. Many are made of pewter. In that vein though, what about a cap/lid for a pipe? Just throwing out ideas...

HH,

Batch

Upvote 0
When I first saw it, one of my initial thoughts was a lid for a beer stein, but this one really is quite heavy. Did they make any that were as hefty as this one? What sort of pipe are you referring to?

Thanks, Erik

Well, except for the weight of the item my first thought was a beer stein lid...similar to this. Many are made of pewter. In that vein though, what about a cap/lid for a pipe?

Upvote 0
My "pipe" thought was along the lines of a protective cover over a fill pipe for house heating oil or something similar. Most of the modern ones here in Germany are screw-on but this page shows a couple of plain ones on the top row. I could see old ones being decorative in nature where they may have been visible on the "street-side" of old homes. Again, I may be (and probably am!) waaaay off but I hope at least to spur someone's imagination toward the right answer.

As always...HAPPY HUNTING!

Batch

Upvote 0
I think that's one of the more reasonable guesses so far (I assume you mean the lid of an inkwell IP), but the base of the inkwell would have to have been pretty massive to support the weight of a cap like this, but certainly with the cap down it would not be easy to spill the ink.

Upvote 0
I think that's one of the more reasonable guesses so far (I assume you mean the lid of an inkwell IP), but the base of the inkwell would have to have been pretty massive to support the weight of a cap like this, but certainly with the cap down it would not be easy to spill the ink.

oh, I thought it was right side up, and you had actually lifted a small lid off where the circle is. Yeah that's way too big to be the top of an inkwell. Must be the top of a pewter canister or something. Too bad it wasn't all there.

Upvote 0
Thanks Batch--certainly an interesting thought. I'm not sure how long houses have been heated with oil, but I can see it as a heavy lid to something similar to that. The fact that it's pewter and cracked the way it is leads me to believe that it dates to at least the beginning of the 19th century, but again that's just my observation and I could be way off too :)

My "pipe" thought was along the lines of a protective cover over a fill pipe for house heating oil or something similar. Most of the modern ones here in Germany are screw-on but this page shows a couple of plain ones on the top row. I could see old ones being decorative in nature where they may have been visible on the "street-side" of old homes. Again, I may be (and probably am!) waaaay off but I hope at least to spur someone's imagination toward the right answer.

As always...HAPPY HUNTING!

Batch

Upvote 0
I agree--any ideas what a heavy pewter canister might have been used for?

oh, I thought it was right side up, and you had actually lifted a small lid off where the circle is. Yeah that's way too big to be the top of an inkwell. Must be the top of a pewter canister or something. Too bad it wasn't all there.

Upvote 0
Hi, I remain convinced that this item was a hinged lid to something. You can see in the last picture where the pivot would have been.

I agree brother, it looks like a hinged lid of some sort! Cool find!!

Upvote 0
Rub it!!Its a Geenie House!!:laughing7:

Upvote 0
I'm thinking... NOT a lid but a shelf.

What you're calling the top is the decorative bottom. The "hinge" is the attachment point to a statue or a monument or even a tombstone. Possibly a flower vase sat on it. Or a bird bath basin. You said it was found across from a church. Was there a cemetery? Prayer garden? Picnic grounds? Any church related activity area might have had an angel or cherub statue that held flowers...

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back