image.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 150
Looks like a it may have held holy water at an old church. May have been mounted on a marble base, just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
Alms dish? Although it seems too crudely cast for a church piece..

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Thanks guys...it does seem crudely cast but has plenty of wear on the underside, suggesting that it has moved about a bit :-)

Upvote 0
I should also mention that I'm in the UK, in case that helps :-)

Upvote 0
My first thought was an offering plate, but it might be a bit heavy for that. :dontknow:

Upvote 0
Yes ... at over 6 pounds in weight it'd be hard to pass around...but also hard to run off with, I guess :-). I was wondering about the letters and numbers too; perhaps a couple and the year they were married?

It's also a very shiny yellow colour with only minimal verdigris patina.

Any info or guesses gratefully received as I am well and truly stumped!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do not see it as a heavy dish since it weighs over 6 lbs. It was cast to last. The bottom would not have to be finished if it was resting on a stone base. When I look at photo 1, I see a green patina where it would have been harder to clean (around the detail on the lip). The pits also have this same color patina in the bowl. I surmise that it was cleaned. I still believe it was cast and rested on stone (marble maybe?). There were only 3 kinds of people could have afforded this. Either the monarchy, the rich, or the church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like an ashtray and sweet ashtray...

Upvote 0
I'd hate to have the habit that needs that kinda ashtray :-)

Upvote 0
Used to get in (scrap yard) these tall brass figurines(rooster I think) that came from a temple/church (asian) that were 3-4ft high. Crudely made actually, and looking at the plate it almost looks like the centre area has been smoothed over like something had been attached to the plate. These figurines weighed 30-40lbs so having a base plate of this weight and size seems to fit. I quickly looked for an image of what I'm referring to online but didn't get anything.

Upvote 0
Um one word !
KILLER !
You found this in the ground ?
It really good condition for being buried ?> ?
You do kknow that this is Celtic style "offering: tray...
I would dare to say that the date of 1600's is correct...
If you found this.
BANNER

BTW...NOT brass.
This Is most def bronze.

Upvote 0
ARRC...thanks so much; definitely the most encouraging opinion yet :-)

It's the colour of brass which is what threw me.

Would it be a Church piece then? Any clue as to country of origin? Any thoughts as to the letters? Not even sure what they are...

Thanks again :-)l

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"offerings" does not mean "church"...
People often associate th both... heh
Offering to gods... or spirits etc also.
You are thinking "collections" plate.
Which it could be.
Could be a good fake as well.
Dated which is "off"... but ya never know.
You still never answered me about this item being buried.
Was it ?
And where/region ?

Upvote 0
ARRC it was found in western Scotland a few years back...

There seems to be little agreement as to what it is and how old it might be...ashtray or offering tray? :-)

Upvote 0
I am thinking a newer, similar plate would be thinner material...lighter and obviously "stamped" not cast

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back