Have you ever wondered how a cannon was made.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
mark and mom 296.JPGHere is a mold for a large cannon, I think this was a neat find, it was sold.

Its a pattern. Build a flask larger than it. (Wood,steel or iron box) Add sand with binding agent(s) to cover a certain depth of bottom. coat pattern with a release agent.
Place pattern in and fill to half way mark on pattern. (top of flask). Let sand cure. repeat with other side. (Add another flask on top.) After cure separate two halves,remove pattern. Add vent holes to allow iron to flow. Join two halves (top and bottom) together. That's your mold, hole to pour into can get a small box over it to allow over filling enough to avoid a void. Today a pattern can be made with styrofoam and left in sand. molten iron burns it away.
Similar to lost wax casting. Been awhile that's what little i can remember. Neat find,thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
CannonBall Guy is the real expert on this stuff. I bet he could make one, but probably not in his garage...

CannonBall Guy is the real expert on this stuff. I bet he could make one, but probably not in his garage...

The man knows his stuff that's for sure.

I,m trying to remember several years in a foundry, any thing more than shoveling sand!

I've not googled it or anything, but how do they make hollow cannon balls way back when?

i worked in a auto parts foundry for a year and it was really neat seeing how we used sand cores to make the hollow spots , we did them all , intakes, heads , blocks , water pumps powersteering ,, you name it they had a mold and sand cores for them all .

Thanks for the input, I know it was a nice peace, not sure of its time frame of use, maybe many years.:treasurechest:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back