Have a brain teaser here!

How Lucky

Jul 14, 2015
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have this item I dug up back in 1966. I found it in connecticut with my metal detector. It measures 1 7/8" X 3/4" and the pins would add another 1/2". Its made of silver and the pins are hinged. I think it to be very old.

found in CT. 1966.JPGfound in CT. 1966..JPGfound in CT. 1966...JPG

It's a vintage hair comb/clasp for women.

Upvote 0
It is a suspender or sash buckle. Circa 1900 give or take a decade.

Upvote 0
Thanks to your help I found out what this thing is. Now that I know, I'm finding a number of them on the internet that are very similar. The one problem with the one I found is that it's missing a decorative oval that would have made a complete buckel.

It is an 18th Century Mens Neckwear Silver Stock Cravat Buckle. In the Georgian Era of the 1700's, men wore them as a fastener on the stocks around their necks.

Thank you guys, you got me going in the right direction.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Stock neck buckle, 18th C.

Upvote 0
Great buckle find made even greater by the fact that it is silver! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
Thanks to your help I found out what this thing is. Now that I know, I'm finding a number of them on the internet that are very similar. The one problem with the one I found is that it's missing a decorative oval that would have made a complete buckel.

It is an 18th Century Mens Neckwear Silver Stock Cravat Buckle. In the Georgian Era of the 1700's, men wore them as a fastener on the stocks around their necks.

Thank you guys, you got me going in the right direction.:thumbsup:

Just revisited this post, hadn't spotted you got the ID already...lol

Upvote 0
Here is a partial restoration for display.

Stock Buckle found 1966 CT. front.JPGStock Buckle found 1966 CT. back.JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back