Has anyone seen one of these before?

Alwayslooking2

Jun 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it's a nutting stone but it's the size of a good size orange but box shape and also all 6 sides have the dip from nutting. I've never found one before like this nor can I find anything about it.
20240609_031957.jpg
20240609_031936.jpg

Upvote 5
It's kinda like sandstone I guess and I found it in a field where I have found many things like daltons, clay marbles, full grooved axe, and more. Also I live in southeast Missouri

I have not seen any relic like this before.

Where was this found? Was this in a creek? A field? Where exactly was this found?

is there any flaking scars on any of the sides?

What state was this found in?

What material do you think this is?
Sandstone I. Think also I live in southeast Missouri and found in a field where I have found many Indian artifacts

just a thought but could be a fire starter cap hand tool. A tool to hold the rod which is spun by the fire starter spindle.
Maybe.
that has to be held somehow.

just a thought but could be a fire starter cap hand tool. A tool to hold the rod which is spun by the fire starter spindle.
Maybe.
that has to be held somehow.
Not sure but I thought those holes would be smaller not as wide so you could start the fire also it has that dip on all 6 sides

Also doesn't that stone show some kind of blacking to it
That’s a really nice looking one. It’s a Cubic Nutting Stone. I have 3 of them but 2 are in the making and 1 is used a lot. I found mine in the Woodland period time frame. I’m in NW Georgia
Yours is about as good as they come and the nicest one I have ever seen.

Attachments

• IMG_4390.jpeg
    IMG_4390.jpeg
    346.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4391.jpeg
    IMG_4391.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 20
It's kinda like sandstone I guess and I found it in a field where I have found many things like daltons, clay marbles, full grooved axe, and more. Also I live in southeast Missouri
For all we know by the shape of them they could of been a type of game stone with a different color dye in each face

That’s a really nice looking one. It’s a Cubic Nutting Stone. I have 3 of them but 2 are in the making and 1 is used a lot. I found mine in the Woodland period time frame. I’m in NW Georgia
Yours is about as good as they come and the nicest one I have ever seen.
Thank you sooo much

Thank you sooo much
On the material it’s most likely GreenStone. I’m pretty sure they didn’t use that material for a nutting stone. My better one is made from GS. I’ve yet to see any eating tools made from it. I have a Celt and a small game stone made from it.
Yours is museum grade imo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back