HAS ANYONE EVER LOOKED FOR ARROWHEADS AT NIGHT?

It would work with a nice head flashlight, it would help if you know your in a good spot also.I once went to a cave w/ a mini mag light still kikn my butt for that one... :tard:

lol I have already bought my head light. I know I will be in a good spot, I have heard that the flint just shines in the light.

I tried it last Fall about this time of year in a creek. It was very spooky, but once I got past wondering what was just beyond my head lamp or what was hovering over me on the banks, it was really fun. I would like to try it more, but don't have much time right now. I had a head lamp and a flashlight (extra batteries in my pockets--just in case!!) The flint did shine, but not it was not nearly as easy to hunt as in the day. I'm going to try a bigger head lamp with a much bigger battery pack in the future.

I could use some tips, too, if anyone has done it with some success....

I've never tried it, but I talked to a couple of guys who said they snuck into Fox Fields, which is a Ft Ancient site located in Mason Co Ky that no one is allowed into anymore. They said they used head lamps and crawled through the field and found all kinds of things.

Also, my brother was over at one of our Ft Ancient sites looking for nightcrawlers so he could go fishing the next day and he found a Fish Hook by using his flashlight on the bank of the hill behind the site.

Why would anyone want to hunt at night, unless you are trespassing, thats not good for collectors/hunters reputations.

Molly.

I have done it before and yes I was trespassing but that was then and this is now.It is very tough to pinpoint flint in the middle of the night but you can find them though.Bring some extra batteries you'll will definitely need them.I don't recommend trespassing unless the land owner is your enemy and you want to get one on him/her.I haven't done it in years and don't plan on doing it again.

Not for sure where this question turned into TRESPASSING? But I was wondering if it worked better. I hunt in Tennessee and going in the morning or afternoon is a good way to be shot by a 300 mag. You may be mistaken for a 10 point in the middle of a field. Yes even with orange on. And I also work long hours and by the time I get home it is dark and because I love to look so much I would go in the dark. I heard from one person that it is better than hunting in the daylight. This is why MOLLY not TRESPASSING. LOL Why not give it a shot, with the short days of winter I could hunt all day and all night long. After all the cotton mouths I killed this summer I would love to hunt in the cold snakeless nights. I got tired of those short fat snakes rollin off he bank and chasin me out of the swamps. OK sorry I am fired up because it's cold and I am ready to find some points! :thumbsup:

Molly said:
Why would anyone want to hunt at night, unless you are trespassing, thats not good for collectors/hunters reputations.

Molly.
or work days ::)

i have found them when it was getting dusky. maybe he is doing it with his work schedule. you would study the ground alot harder i bet

capgun said:
Not for sure where this question turned into TRESPASSING?
becuase its not normal to do things that are not the norm/perceived as different or outside the box

Molly said:

Molly.
HE'S GOT THE FEVER!!!!!! i get it every year when it starts getting nasty out!

yea you got it like Buck fever. It is arrowhead fever. Hunt Eat Sleep arrowheads. Feel like they are laying there and I need to get there to pick them up. lol you know what i am talking about. ;D

here on the high-plains of colorado the wind howls all day in the spring but dies about sundown. i regularly go at night with a head-lamp. i love to hear the coyotes! also, i always have permission. it`s no fun if you have to look over your shoulder! the guy who owns my favorite field thinks im a nut. he may be right!

I guess ya'll put me straight.
btw I have tried it, I didn't need permission, it was on my 200 acres. I couldn't see a thing, not to mention fell over a few times. I went back in the day, amazing what I missed the night before.
I do understand why you would hunt at night if you work all day though.
Good luck with that, you are going to need it.

Molly.

what about a black light ???? :icon_study:

EDDE said:
what about a black light ???? :icon_study:

I had started to do a little research on if using a UV light (not a cheap black light) but a shortwave UV light (common party black lights are longwave)

I got my idea on some reading about arrowhead authentication. something I read said that flint will glow under UV.
below is a copy/paste from part of the description on a UV light for sale on ebay.
----------
Mineral Lighting & Identification - Opal, Fluorite, Willemite, Calcite, Franklinite, Benitoite, Scheelite, Adamite, Sodalite, Hardystonite, Gypsum, Scapolite, and Zippeite are just a few examples of the various minerals that glow specific, identifiable colors under UV light, making a black light a useful tool for collectors and prospectors alike. **please note that some minerals will only glow under SHORTWAVE UV light. Our light is a LONGWAVE UV light, so please be aware of the difference before ordering.
----------

It would be interesting to get a cheapo UV light and place it in my flower bed and see if it stands out, then get a shortwave UV light and repeat the test. but I dont feel like spending the 100 bucks or so on a shortwave UV light just so I can "see" if it works

i have had a few mineral lamps.
you can make your own with a piece of black glass. any light source is fine.

UV is extremely hard on the eyes...
here is a pic of an old auto related running lamp...black glass...i have used it in a stationary mount.

Attachments

• 01010007.JPG
    01010007.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 703

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back