Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had read about the bargain price of the Harbor Freight pinpointers here on Tnet , so I ordered one just to see how it would do. It ran just over $20.00 after shipping and handling from wherever they are to my home in NE Oklahoma.

It came fully assembled with a battery and a good instruction booklet. and a cloth holster. The booklet was obviously designed for the guy or gal who would be using it for other than metal detecting. First off I discovered how small and light weight it was compared to most any others I had handled. But it did have a 6" barrel for reaching down into the hole. I found that if I dug my plug as big as my hand I could easily reach down a lot further. The Barrel was also sensitive on the sides as well as the tip. The unit stayed off all the time except when you pushed a tiny button switch to turn it on and it had to be held down while you were probing. Although the button switch was small I had no problem holding it down using the gloves I use for digging. The gloves are the Wal-Mart special cloth backed with rubber palms and fingers. Also when the switch is held down or on, there is a small but bright light that lights up the hole which I found very helpful. I didn't use it long enough to find out how long the single 9 volt battery would last, but with the way it is set up I expect it would last for days. I used it for about 4 hours while I dug up some pennies in a local park. But note that it of course was not turned on the whole 4 hours, rather only when probling. When it approached or touched a metal object it would let out a very high pitched whine. With earphones on I had a little trouble hearing it until I used it a few times. I tried it near a busy street and couldn't hear it at all with the traffic noise. It would be much better if it also had a vibration to accompany the tone. I couldn't find any adjustment to make it louder. Depth was about an inch and a half on a penny sized coin, a tad more with a larger object but not anywhere near the 2 1/2 " someone else reported getting. Maybe it was just peculiar to the particular one I received? The probe itself seemed to be fairly stout and I don't think it would break unless you was to try to pry with it. Just straight probing into loose soil should work fine.

Overall, for the money it was a surprisingly good little pinpointer. The only real fault I could find was the volume wasn't loud enough for me near busy traffic. I suspect if the manufacturer ever found out what it was being used for the price would escalate. It seems anything peculiar to our interest as detectorists is a lot higher than comparable prices doesn't it? I would recommend it if you want just a handy little pinpointer and don't want to spend a bunch of $$$. M :thumbsup: nty

Monty,

Was this the one??

Thanks

Funkman

Attachments

• 97245.gif
    97245.gif
    23.8 KB · Views: 904
funkman ..Yes that is the one ..monty.. is talking about it works as good as the bulleye works ..And i have one of them also.....................................==Jim_K==

I bought one too---- A good PP for $20> :thumbsup:

went to the harbor freight store and have a raincheck for it @ $14.99....just waiting for it to come in.

Thanks

Funkman

Battery life(the cheap factory one) was a few months on mine. We'll see how a good alkaline lasts. The tip on these units is prone to come loose, if yours hasn't, check it. Glued mine back with a poly adhesive, which also makes it water tight at the tip if its used in muddy or wet soil.

Bought the last 2 on the shelf from my local HF about 2 months ago. I am extremely happy with this pinpointer. Still using the original battery (average 3 hr hunts 2 times a week) I think this is all the pinpointer the average MDer needs. Highly recommended!

I just picked one up at Harbor Frieght - last one on the shelf.
I was inpressed for 15$ ( about 1 1/2 inch) on quarter and I love the light as I hunt at night alot.
Thank-you Monty
Bill

I bought mine about three weeks ago. I'm happy with it. The switch broke and the tip came loose on my old Bullseye.

MD said:
I bought mine about three weeks ago. I'm happy with it. The switch broke and the tip came loose on my old Bullseye.
Yes sir that bullseye is known for that...

Went to HF in my area and found two on the shelf(after much looking)bought them both. Seem to be pretty good for the price($15.oo) will keep one as a backup for me and give the other to a friend who got his first MD for Xmas. Hope to try it out this weekend if it doesn't snow again........ ::)

I've used my Harbor Freight "metal detecter" several times out now and today I noticed the little cap on the end of the barrel is loose. I'll stick a bead of epoxy on it in the morning and it should be good as new. I really like this little gadget! It's so light weight and handy and easy to tote around. It saved me a lot of time today when I worked an old school yard and had a lot of junk to dig. I don't know how long the battery will last , but it is still going strong after several hunts. For the money, I think I'll get a couple more! Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back