Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it's little. But no travel required. When we dug out under the old carport years ago we scraped the bedrock. If we would have had to go down just two more inches, we would have had to use a jackhammer to break up some of the bedrock, but fortunately didn't have to. There is gold in the creek, so...I took out my shovel and dug some of that dirt out and panned it. This was collected from about 3 gallons of dirt, washed out with a hose and then brought inside and panned as its hot outside. It's not much but its exercise, no traveling and its free.
IMG_7202.JPG

Upvote 42
Yes, it's little. But no travel required. When we dug out under the old carport years ago we scraped the bedrock. If we would have had to go down just two more inches, we would have had to use a jackhammer to break up some of the bedrock, but fortunately didn't have to. There is gold in the creek, so...I took out my shovel and dug some of that dirt out and panned it. This was collected from about 3 gallons of dirt, washed out with a hose and then brought inside and panned as its hot outside. It's not much but its exercise, no traveling and its free.View attachment 2160371
That’s pretty cool!

Yes, it's little. But no travel required. When we dug out under the old carport years ago we scraped the bedrock. If we would have had to go down just two more inches, we would have had to use a jackhammer to break up some of the bedrock, but fortunately didn't have to. There is gold in the creek, so...I took out my shovel and dug some of that dirt out and panned it. This was collected from about 3 gallons of dirt, washed out with a hose and then brought inside and panned as its hot outside. It's not much but its exercise, no traveling and its free.View attachment 2160371
wtg!

Good one, not many can say they've done that.

Good question. There is gold here. My kids found it long before I figured it out. This stuff is small. And with all the "monsters" in the woods, I'm not going to the creek as there's no one left to go with. SOME of it may be where I "missed" it panning on other occasions and tossed it, but it's kinda big to miss. I was taught to pan at the Crisson Mine in Dahlonega, GA.

Correct. The gold here in Maryland is very, very close to the source. We do not find water worn pieces like ever. One piece was silverish in color, so I sent it out for xray diffraction. It had native silver in it and a trace of mercury so the old timers were looking for gold here a very long time ago.

I am NOT in the woods. I am two feet off my deck! No woods there, just three nosy pet spoiled chickens who are wondering what I'm not doing for them. What I have weighs 1/10 of a gram. Not bad for playing on the deck.

I am NOT in the woods. I am two feet off my deck! No woods there, just three nosy pet spoiled chickens who are wondering what I'm not doing for them. What I have weighs 1/10 of a gram. Not bad for playing on the deck.
Not bad at all. You might have to move that deck. Can you park in the street? We need a bit of room in your driveway. Don't worry it will pay for itself in no time.
1721936777772.png

I put a couple of grains that looked silver colored in with a vile of dust and turned out to be mercury and it spread out over some of the rest of the gold.
I would think silver would be black, but hey, what do I know.
I have yet to find any gold in my yard and since I'm very close to Clear Creek just below Golden where they used a big dredge back in the day, we know it's there.
Every time I'm digging and find a piece of quartz I set it aside where the rain will wash it off so I can take a better look.
Nice looking yella, Smokey, and thanks for sharing.

Nice recoveries of the gold, Smokey. Put those spoi9led chickens to work for you and let them scratch up some more of the dirt that you can pan out and find more gold! :tchest:

The chickens have scratched up some pennies! Does that count! A friend found a seated dime (don't know what year) in my flower bed/garden, some zincolns, Lincolns and wheaties right near the house this spring. I panned out two zincolns myself. They were rotten so I tossed them. I don't do squat in the summer. Stopped going to the beach too and hence, no jewelry for a long time now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back