hand tool still unidentified...

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
posted this years ago with no definitive answers. I know you are keen to keep trying. lol

DSC00729.JPG DSC00726.JPG DSC00728.JPG

good luck and am anxiously waiting.

Bravo.

I don't think it that one.....the handles are way too long and it looks like a much bigger tool than the OP posted.

Upvote 0
I still think it's a button/stud setting plier as I posted earlier, which may have been missed when we went to 2 pages of replies. Can't seem to find an example exactly like this one, so I researched buttons for a bit. There were patents for both a plier (1875) and a button "staple like attachment" (1874) by David Heaton. The big difference between the patent plier and this one is where the slit and grooves are located, but in my opinion, the "design" of the OP's plier could be used for the same function. Plus, both of D. Heaton's patents refer to "improvements" in button setting instruments and button fastenings, which suggests that there are other types of tools that did this job.

The long prong of the 3-prong "staple" goes through the button/stud loop and is then folded over. The button's loop is slid onto the plier's jaw slit, with the jaw being between the button and "staple". Now you place the leather or material you wish to attach the button to between the upper jaw and lower jaw, and squeeze the handles. The "staple" will pierce the material and the 2 prongs will be folded over and back into the underside of the material by the 2 grooves in the bottom plier jaw, thus attaching the button or stud to the leather/material.

Open to discussion....what do you think?

Here are the 2 patents for both the plier and the button attachment system.

Patent US153220 - IMPROVEMENT IN BUTTON-FASTENINGS - Google Patents

Patent US168994 - IMPROVEMENT IN SETTING-INSTRUMENTS FOR ATTACHING BUTTONS, STUDS - Google Patents

Button setting pliers.JPGButton Setting staple.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well without finding a exact match we may never ID it ..lol
I found a couple pictures of old hand staplers that looked real close. but we may never know.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back